Ac compressor clutch$$$?.

nickyb

I gotta say i never painted my nuts, Never Ever
15 Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
nevada
Just by chance I noticed my a.c. comp.clutch slowly turning a little while she idled in my garage.I priced them out and I was willing to fork over $100+ for a new one,no place in town has one.Can't get one till next week,so I removed it and wire brushed both parts and put another shim on so the gap was about 0.016-018.She's back together and no problems all day. How long will this last? Anyplace have new ones less than$100 bucks.

• Sponsors (?)

Well she's my daily.To work and home 30 miles a day,five days a week.I'm hoping to get threw this summer..

Well, there is an easy solution for that. Order the clutch, and have it on the shelf. If it fails, then you will have the part in stock. If not, you saved yourself the labor. Not changing it in advance will only save you from one ride home like the poors.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah,I've been searching online.new compressor with clutch $200.I'll order it and be ready.

It's a bad idea to change the compressor just because the clutch failed. Aftermarket compressors are notoriously sucky. It also means a discharge and refill. It is also standard practice to change the drier and the orifice tube when ever the system is opened up.

Kurt

Order the clutch. Keep our compressor.

In reality, the only portion of the clutch kit that you need is the friction disk. I tossed the rest of my last kit in the trash can.

You will also need a good set of snap ring pliers.

A-C Clutch.jpg

First place I check when I am looking for generic parts. At the very least for a price comparison.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

In reality, the only portion of the clutch kit that you need is the friction disk. I tossed the rest of my last kit in the trash can.

yeah I'm keeping the factory compressor,it's leaking so I got a rebuild kit.
A-C Clutch.jpg

First place I check when I am looking for generic parts. At the very least for a price comparison.
Yeah rocks got a new one cheap enough,I'll toss it on then rebuild the original factory compressor.

got good pliers,I'm thinking of new compressor with clutch just because it's cheap ,and I can toss it on them rebuild factory one.

It's a bad idea to change the compressor just because the clutch failed. Aftermarket compressors are notoriously sucky. It also means a discharge and refill. It is also standard practice to change the drier and the orifice tube when ever the system is opened up.

Kurt
My original compressor leaks so a cheap new one with clutch will do for this summer.Then a rebuild on factory compressor and rebuild for the clutch.the recharge is nominal as I'm a diy'er.I use ES12a and it gets cold as a witches tit inside,even at 100+.As far as standard anything goes that's for transmissions.

What is ES12a is that the stuff on E-Bay..........I am down a can of R-12 What can I do. What is a person to do when they take off there compressor and the R12 drains out. Im cold , but want witches tit.

What is ES12a is that the stuff on E-Bay..........I am down a can of R-12 What can I do. What is a person to do when they take off there compressor and the R12 drains out. Im cold , but want witches tit.

Uh... have it reclaimed [before] you let it drain into the atmosphere.

Sheesh... and they call [me] Noob :p

Environmental safe 12 alternative,Amazon has it.I've used it for 8+ years already,on different systems with great results.It is comparable with both types of oil and you don't have to introduce it into vaccum.temps are colder than r134aor r12,cost less,molecules are larger( less leaks) less head pressure( better has milage).I did my research and you can too.It's gotten my stang into low 30degree temps.Oh I live on the surface of the sun Nevada.temps go to 1 teens all summer long. Oh you do need 134a fittings.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
When the factory clutch went on my 1965 Frigidaire/GM compressor (after 40+ years of no service!), it got hot enough to take out the front seal on the compressor. The replacement compressor (best line at NAPA) runs easier and colder with 134A than the factory one ever did. You might have fixed it right. But if you can prevent the clutch from taking out the compressor, I’d still change it.

• Check the voltage to the clutch coil it needs to be no less than 1V of battery charge be it KOEO @11.6 are KOER @ 1 volt less than alternator output. SO @14.5 volts you need to see at least 13.5V. Are just run a jumper from battery to clutch coil power to evaluate it.
  • I suspect a weak coil, low voltage, clutch gap to wide, a worn clutch plate/hub, a leaking compressor shaft seal.
  • Its always nice to know the head pressure high head pressure may slip the clutch
  • All in said and done it’s possible to set the clutch gap close as you did to compensate for worn parts.
  • The first thing I would do is draw down the system and look at the expansion tube it has a filter if it’s contaminated it will need a compressor, dryer, condenser and hoses.
  • I rarely just replace the AC clutch assy it gets a new compressor with all the fix’ns then retro fit to 134a, life will be good… NO REBUILT JUNK NEW…
  • Most all R12 blends drop in replacement refrigerant is 80% 134A ARE MORE SOME ARE 100% whoda thunk it…
  • Retrofit, use a blue expansion tube, the correct oil (easter), adjust the cycle switch to cycle off at 19 psi it will cool just as good as R12 and sometimes better… You get one shot to get it right skimp, cut corners and use rebuilt parts and it will cost ya…
  • Air flow across the condenser just like coolant refrigerant absorbs the heat air takes it way the more the better…
  • Lastly, Rock Auto I don't go there myself and don't never plan too... It is not the best deal even tho it looks to be.

I am not going to 'feel better' till you stop making negative comments about our vendors, at least without proof and a chance for a rebuttal but this thread is not the place for it.

I never meant to step on your toes, It looks like I am not entitled to my personal opinion does it... In my world convenience has a price its not worth the wait and the hoops to go thru when things go wrong and they do are anywhere else as far as that goes. I have ordered some suspension parts from American Muscle this will be the third go round on this order I may have to get them from the rock : ( American Muscle is dropping the ball on this one... I have a post on the suspension everyone I have ordered from a week later they tell me a couple weeks out then a week later 4/5 weeks out. I would like to see the stang GONE from here in my lifetime...