• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech

Accelerating Issue (and More?)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ben Jeatran
  • Start date Start date May 13, 2017
  • Tags Tags
    1993 accelerator mustang rattle smoke
B

Ben Jeatran

New Member
May 13, 2017
1
0
1
May 13, 2017
#1
  • May 13, 2017
  • #1
I've got a '93 2.3L 4 cylinder fox body that I've had for a little while now. In the past few weeks it's had an issue; after I start the car, for the first minute of me driving it, the accelerator doesn't move the car too much, the rpm is low, and it makes this popping noise from somewhere near the pedal. After a minute of driving it, it would go away. It also is notoriously bad at climbing hills. Now we get to the past few days. The quick little problem I described is now much harder to get rid of, and I have to pump the gas several times to try and get it to go. After about 10 minutes, something under the car rattles really bad whenever I put my foot on the accelerator, but doesn't rattle in idle. And if I slow it down to go to park, it dies altogether. And when I park and open the hood, there's a crap-ton of smoke coming from somewhere around the water pump (we changed the water pump yesterday so we know that isn't the source).

I've been looking for problems similar to mine but it has so many little issues that I'm not sure who has had this. Probably a good number of people, but I couldn't really get this exact problem from a search bar. A lot of stuff has been changed on this car, and my dad suggests maybe the engine head or the fuel intake is the problem. What do you guys think?

Big thanks to anyone in advance!
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,336
18,062
224
Massachusetts
May 23, 2017
#2
  • May 23, 2017
  • #2
Just guessing here, but I'm betting something is going on with the timing belt. The smoke could be the belt shredding, and the car running poorly because it's jumped a tooth due to the belt starting to fail.

Would need to poke around a bit more to confirm, but that's one possible thing to inspect
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

J
Resolved Ford 302 damper issue
  • James S
  • Aug 8, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
0
Views
139
Other Auto Tech Aug 8, 2026
James S
J
2000 GT-Front Brakes Not Releasing
  • stormsedge
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
179
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 7, 2026
Bronco2fan
B
Ford truck engine swap issues
  • keel
  • Jul 7, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
17
Views
534
Other Auto Tech Jul 13, 2026
General karthief
H
Strange steering/brake issue
  • Haxmaster
  • Jun 2, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
145
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jun 3, 2026
squeak93
Fox Fuel Pump Issues After Replacement/Upgrade
  • Ryu
  • Jun 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
963
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 13, 2026
Ryu
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?