advice needed, my top end build

budly91

Aug 26, 2010
TRICK FLOW ALUMINUM 61cc i think HEADS, EDElBROCK PERFORMER RPM 2 INTAKE, FRPP E-303 CAM, HOOKER SUPER COMPETITION SHORTY HEADERS, 1:7.1 ROLLER LIFTERS, BBK COLD AIR INTAKE, BBK THROTTLE BODY AND SPACER,
t-5 trans with centerforce clutch,355 gears Oem injectors/ fuel pump,
its a 1989
what should my hp number be? its un-tuned right now aswell, any ideas on what replace and upgrade to get more hp, stock internals btw. , oh yea
80xxx orig miles on shortblock

• Sponsors (?)

TRICK FLOW ALUMINUM 61cc i think HEADS, EDElBROCK PERFORMER RPM 2 INTAKE, FRPP E-303 CAM, HOOKER SUPER COMPETITION SHORTY HEADERS, 1:7.1 ROLLER LIFTERS, BBK COLD AIR INTAKE, BBK THROTTLE BODY AND SPACER,
its a 1989
what should my hp number be? its un-tuned right now aswell, any ideas on what replace and upgrade to get more hp, stock internals btw. , oh yea

290rwhp/310ft/lbs depending on the dyno.

What other exhaust do you have on the car? What size throttle body and MAF? Under drive pulleys?

Should be a fun combo...

I and several buddies of mine have had similar if not almost identical combos on cars of ours before. A friend of mine had a fox body with a 306, 10:1 comp, ported GT40X heads, the original RPM intake, same cam, rocker, and header setup as you, with a T-5 and 3.73s. It had a nice, snotty idle without a chip burn, but still was a blast to play with. He used it as his daily work-and-back commuter. Yes there are many newer cam profiles out there that are superior to the E303, but in a stock bottom end 5.0, it's still a pretty decent 2000 to 6000 RPM cam. I just think the RPMII intake is a little much for it, and that you would feel a stronger mid-range pull with the ol' GT40 intake... just port match the lower to your heads, get a dyno tune and chip burn when you can, and you will enjoy it, until the horsepower junkie in you decideds that it isn't enough anymore. Revhead347 is right, I think you can expect around 270ish RWHP with a broad torque curve.

Get a custom cam, split duration cams with a 112+ lobe really works wonders for the 94-95 Computers. I'd say 270-ish as well. With a Performer intake, custom cam and huge mass air meter, I'd say close to 300.

If you're looking to do the BBK Fenderwell cold air kit don't waste your time. If you must ditch the bendy part, bolt the meter and air filter to the straight pipe. It's proven to make more HP, the 90 degree bend is turbulant airflow.

Go into the sticky FAQ sheet and read user rides and combo's. There are many combo's in there that can give you an idea.

I'm guessing 270rwhp. Not going to go to far with that dinosaur camshaft.

Kurt

Get a custom cam, split duration cams with a 112+ lobe really works wonders for the 94-95 Computers. I'd say 270-ish as well. With a Performer intake, custom cam and huge mass air meter, I'd say close to 300.

If you're looking to do the BBK Fenderwell cold air kit don't waste your time. If you must ditch the bendy part, bolt the meter and air filter to the straight pipe. It's proven to make more HP, the 90 degree bend is turbulant airflow.

Go into the sticky FAQ sheet and read user rides and combo's. There are many combo's in there that can give you an idea.

I'd have to agree with these guys :D

Heads and intake are much more suited to each other :nice:

The headers and cam are not on the same level IMHO :notnice:

LT's, a more aggressive cam, and a good tune would make a world
of difference ;)

Grady

its a 1989

you may be able to squeeze out 260ish on those stock injectors, but it will be dangerously lean and will be overtaxing the injectors. do NOT be surprised if this thing makes 240 HP.
These are the MAJOR problems with this setup.

with 24 # injectors Depending on the tune, you could make as much as 310/315 or as low as 270/310.

The main problem is that you need fuel (pump, injectors Maf, Adj FPR) and a new cam. If changing the cam is not an option, I would change that intake.

Your fuel should be your main focus. Then dial it in on a dyno or at the track. with the right timing. On a fox with trick flows, you are likely going to be able to run 16 degrees timing on 93 octane. But you should start with 14.

your gears are just matched all wrong with that setup. The biggest problem is that intake with those gears. that intake needs 4.10s or 4.30s and eventually a better cam.

I realize that it is easier to swap intakes than anything else, so just decide what is best for you at this time. It is cheap enough to change later as your setup grows, BUT TAKE CARE OF THAT FUEL. your money will be wasted anywhere else for the time being.

with a proper cam, injectors maf and tune, I would not be surprised to see the setup make 320-345 hp and 320-335 tq. Those are some mean heads and intake that you have and it could be a very fast heads cam car.