Advice / opinions wanted for mild 5.8 EFI build

Dec 30, 2005
Here's the receipe and the goal. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Converting older, daily driven F100 to EFI. Looking for a little more performance while maintaining reasonable fuel mileage. Originally planning on a mildly modified 89-91 Mustang 5.0. (It would reach my HP/TQ level but at a higher rpm level then I would like.) So, I'm considering going this route;
5.8W roller shortblock
89-91 Mustang 5.0 stock cam (already have)
Thumper ported E7 heads (already have)
Lightning 5.8 lower intake
Explorer upper (already have)
65mm Explorer throttle body
1 5/8 longtubes
9.5:1 comp ratio
mass air , ECU, injectors, harness. sensors,etc from 5.8 truck
I'm looking for Lightning type HP/TQ figures 240+ hp and 340+ torque. I don't have any dyno tune facilities in my area and don't have much time/money to learn to do it myself, so I'm hoping the stock maf/ecu won't lean out with these mods.
Thanks again.

• Sponsors (?)

IMO, you are putting a heavier engine in, with no real boost in performance.
I don't see the purpose.
You'll be spending a few bucks on 351 conversion parts too, that could go towards performance parts on a 302.

E7 heads on a 351 are a mismatch, ported or not.
You are in it for speed correct? Not in it to pull a boat trailer.

Problem is all the 302 parts you already have
those are some good 302 parts, putting them on a 351W still
only yields 302 hp numbers ( ie. 240hp 351W vs. 225hp 302 )?

The 351W is 100#'s heavier and has greater rotating mass.
for that power level a 302 would respond better.

If you've got your heart set on 351 you need to get at least
some World Sr. heads and a good custom cam.

I just made 475hp on 351W w/ .03 over bore with good heads and cam.

but with the listed parts, yes thats what you would get, about 240-260hp

You guys are making a good point. Although both engines make similar power #s I was hoping to have more in the lower rpms (under the curve) for daily driving. Thats why I was considering the longer stroke 351. I knew it would be heavier then the 5.0, but 100lbs is a lot, and may cancel out what I would be gaining. I did consider stroking the 5.0 to 347 but did'nt want to get to the point where I would need a custom tune. Thanks.

There is no point where you need a "custom" tune in a NA stock block 302.

Heads are the main ingrediant for making power NA in a pushrod mustang, concentrate on them.