After Clutch swap, I now hear what i think is Tranny gear whine

Chythar

Recently finished repairing my rear
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Foothill Ranch, CA
At least, I think it is. No noises in neutral. In 1st gear, I can hear the whine as I accelerate. I can't tell if it's there in 2nd & up, too much other noise going on. I don't feel any unusual vibrations or performance, every gear shifts just fine. No fluid leaks; I did remember to fill the tranny up on ATF. Come to think of it, I only got 3 1/4 or so quarts in before fluid came out of the fill hole. Could I be low on tranny fluid?

Of course, I'm trying to learn this new clutch still. I'm still kinda new at shifting a manual, but I digress.

• Sponsors (?)

Nope, stock shifter. I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the outside of the car rather than through the shifter. But I'll keep an ear out on the drive into work today.

A revision: I hear tranny whine in 1st AND 2nd, tho it's a bit quieter in 2nd. I still can't tell if it's whining in 3rd or 4th, too much other noise. I can hear the whine with the windows up or down, it's louder from outside with the windows down.

One thing that may matter - the tranny sat without tranny fluid for 2-3 weeks during the clutch swap. I only had weekends to work on it, and I kept getting delayed. (Yes, I like to take my time with car repairs) I did not start the engine or use the tranny without fluid.

Is it possible the gears need some time to re-lubricate? Even if the tranny fluid leeched off of the gears while sitting, I would think they would lube right up after starting.

This gear whine may not be a problem, but I always pay close attention to any new noises on my Mustangs. It's an early warning sign for me that something may be breaking.