Wheels-Tires Aftermarket Rims, 18in. For 2016 Mustang

ohrats

Jan 6, 2017
Hi! I'm a recent proud new owner of a 2016 V6 (pause for V8 jokes...?), which is kind of weird as I was born in Europe and always used to swear by European cars. This is also my first car from any American manufacturer.

Here's my issue: I live in MN and I bought some Blizzaks and aftermarket rims for my winter setup. They're both 18 in., which is what my car came with stock. I made sure to get the right offset, hub size etc, got a great deal on some rims online... But when I go to put them on, I realize the lug nuts are way too big for the holes in the rims. No biggie, I've had aftermarket rims before, so I'll get some "tuner" lugs. And here is where it goes all wrong:

After I've sunk a lot of $$ in this setup, getting them mounted, balanced etc I find out that no lug nuts I can find will fit in the rims! The hole is only about 0.85 in wide, while all "tuner" lugs 14x1.5 I can find are around 0.9 in wide.

So now I'm stuck with rims and tires that are essentially useless (you mount them, you own them!) and I'm hoping someone has some ideas, because I'm out. Is there any way to make this work without sinking a lot more $$ in it? I've looked at ARP wheel stud conversion from 14mm to 12mm, which allows for smaller nuts that will fit the holes. Is that a bad idea? Will it void the warranty? It seems like everything does.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

ProComp Off-Road and Gorilla both make skinny spline-drive nuts fotr those fugly wheels everyone is putting on their pickups these days, and 14x1.5 is a common truck wheel stud size. If there is a Discount Tire near you, take one of the new wheels with you and check with them, they carry Gorilla.

Yeah I tried those, I called Gorilla and they basically said it's not possible/ safe to have 14mm nuts in such a small hole. Whoever designed those rims needs to burn in hell. And yes, that's basically the issue- 14mm is truck studs, but I bought rims for cars. Like one of those issues I'd never think of until I ran into it....

Not sure what the point of 14mm studs is in my Mustang. I mean, I thought it was limited to like 120mph anyway.

Yeah I tried those, I called Gorilla and they basically said it's not possible/ safe to have 14mm nuts in such a small hole. Whoever designed those rims needs to burn in hell. And yes, that's basically the issue- 14mm is truck studs, but I bought rims for cars. Like one of those issues I'd never think of until I ran into it....

Not sure what the point of 14mm studs is in my Mustang. I mean, I thought it was limited to like 120mph anyway.
It's not the top speed, it's the torque off the line and lateral loading in hard cornering.