Again..How does a H/C/I 302 compare to a evo or sti?

Pokageek

Jun 10, 2005
MA, USA
Has anyone ever raced one? Stock vs H/C/I 302? "Pullied" or modified sti vs H/C/I 302? 0-60 ? Top End? Roll? Quarter? I am sick of seeing those cars and wondering if they can blow away stangs.

Also, what do they run on the dyno? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

If you took a stang with good heads (Trick Flow Twisted Wedge, AFR 165/185, etc.), a custom cam from Camshaft Innovations or someone as equally as well versed in Fords, and a hot intake like a Performer RPM II, Trick Flow Track Heat, or Holley Systemax II...with supporting mods to match...it would be hard for just about any average souped up or hot-stock street car to touch you.

Has anyone ever raced one? Stock vs H/C/I 302? "Pullied" or modified sti vs H/C/I 302? 0-60 ? Top End? Roll? Quarter? I am sick of seeing those cars and wondering if they can blow away stangs.

Also, what do they run on the dyno? :shrug:

Laugh if you want :shrug:
but
I'm not really sure about what either of those cars are
but
I'm pretty sure they're some kind of little ... Puddle Jumper Rice Rocket :shrug:

anyway ..........

Since most h/c/i Stangs run low to high 12's ... can't you just look up a
mag review and compare them as far as 1/4 mile stats go :shrug:

Then again ... to me :scratch:
Cars like that :(
and
Good Ole American V8 Muscle :)

T O T A L L Y different categories ... As I see it :D

Are you not building a Stroker :shrug:
It should be able to shame em all :nice:

Grady

Yes I am building a stoker. ;) I have always been curious though.

Grady,with all your knowledge I am amazed you have not heard of these cars. Maybe they are not in your area but I see them everywhere around here.. The magazines "say" they run 13.0 stock. They are rice rockets with big wings on the back advertised aroun 300HP stock. I have never raced one or seen them run on the track but word is they are light and FAZT.

BTW Grady, what do yu think I could potentially run QM @ 500HP? .. and 3.27's? Sorry to hi jack me own thread ,lol

http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview.jsp?model=IMPREZA&trim=WRX_STI

Yes I am building a stoker. ;) I have always been curious though.

Grady,with all your knowledge I am amazed you have not heard of these cars. Maybe they are not in your area but I see them everywhere around here.. The magazines "say" they run 13.0 stock. They are rice rockets with big wings on the back advertised aroun 300HP stock. I have never raced one or seen them run on the track but word is they are light and FAZT.

BTW Grady, what do yu think I could potentially run QM @ 500HP? .. and 3.27's? Sorry to hi jack me own thread ,lol

http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview.jsp?model=IMPREZA&trim=WRX_STI

To tell you the honest truth :D

Its not so much that I've not heard about those little cars :nono:

I just really don't have much interest in them simply cause I can't relate to em :crazy:
but hey ....
I was right about the type of car they were ... wasn't I :)

I've never been able to understand the whole little car concept :scratch:

I mean ... those guys get all excited when talking about 13's
and to me :shrug:
With a Ford or Chevy ... you are at 13's with simple bolt-on's

Why start out with a Civic or something that runs like 20's in the 1/4 :rlaugh:

:scratch: I really just don't get it :scratch:

With 500 rwhp & Big Block cubes :eek:
You ought to be able to get down in single digits with a decent sixty foot :banana:

Grady

To tell you the honest truth :D

Its not so much that I've not heard about those little cars :nono:

I just really don't have much interest in them simply cause I can't relate to em :crazy:
but hey ....
I was right about the type of car they were ... wasn't I :)

I've never been able to understand the whole little car concept :scratch:

I mean ... those guys get all excited when talking about 13's
and to me :shrug:
With a Ford or Chevy ... you are at 13's with simple bolt-on's

Why start out with a Civic or something that runs like 20's in the 1/4 :rlaugh:

:scratch: I really just don't get it :scratch:

With 500 rwhp & Big Block cubes :eek:
You ought to be able to get down in single digits with a decent sixty foot :banana:

Grady

We must note that EVOs and STIs are no grocery getters...they are built for performance no doubt. And from the factory, they are much faster than our cars from the factory. They're just lacking the extra 4 cylinders :D

Quite a few of these run at a track near me. I've seen everything from high 11's to low 14's. It's just like Mustangs where your going to have a big range. Most I've seen with bolt ons are in the low 13's. With the AWD chassis and turbo though, all it really takes is a good PMS and there times will drop dramatically while running more boost. I think they're both pretty damn ugly but as far as speed they're not dogs.

I used to have a '95 AWD Turbo Eclipse with about 12K into it. For this reason alone, I have a lot of respect for an AWD Turbo car. I'm familiar with what they capable of. The biggest problem I see is that while your scratch'in for traction, they're hitting second gear.

We must note that EVOs and STIs are no grocery getters...they are built for performance no doubt. And from the factory, they are much faster than our cars from the factory. They're just lacking the extra 4 cylinders :D

I can see all that and don't disagree a bit :D

Really when you look at a Mustang ... to me ..........
Its basic transportation or as you say ... a grocery getter in its basic
form of which Ford built way more of than those with the V8 option.

Honestly ... even with the V8 ... Our cars were not what you could call
a purpose built car like you say our little "Example" cars are in this thread.

If you wanted to be more fair in a comparison ..............
Would you not use a Cobra, or Shelby, or whatever they're calling the
newest "Go Faster" offering from Ford these days :shrug:

Grady

Quite a few of these run at a track near me. I've seen everything from high 11's to low 14's. It's just like Mustangs where your going to have a big range. Most I've seen with bolt ons are in the low 13's. With the AWD chassis and turbo though, all it really takes is a good PMS and there times will drop dramatically while running more boost. I think they're both pretty damn ugly but as far as speed they're not dogs.

I used to have a '95 AWD Turbo Eclipse with about 12K into it. For this reason alone, I have a lot of respect for an AWD Turbo car. I'm familiar with what they capable of. The biggest problem I see is that while your scratch'in for traction, they're hitting second gear.

Spoken from a veteran. So I need to be running 11's to kick their @ ss's ok. :nice:

From what it sounds like, they are killer off the line too. :rolleyes:

I can see all that and don't disagree a bit :D

Really when you look at a Mustang ... to me ..........
Its basic transportation or as you say ... a grocery getter in its basic
form of which Ford built way more of than those with the V8 option.

Honestly ... even with the V8 ... Our cars were not what you could call
a purpose built car like you say our little "Example" cars are in this thread.

Grady

Excellent point. We are comparing the "top of the line" "fastest damned car we build" with the GT Mustang in its most pedestrian form. They come with turbo's, better cams, better everything than the pedestrian versions of the car line. To be fair, we'd have to add the same performance goodies to our 12-13 year old cars. :) I like this thread!

Grady

Excellent point. We are comparing the "top of the line" "fastest damned car we build" with the GT Mustang in its most pedestrian form. They come with turbo's, better cams, better everything than the pedestrian versions of the car line. To be fair, we'd have to add the same performance goodies to our 12-13 year old cars. :) I like this thread!

I agree with this 100%. An STI or Evo are between 30K-35K. Dollar for dollar I think I would take an 03-04 cobra over them any day.

The way I see it...a nice set of drag radials...and goodbye STI :flag:

it always seems to come down to the "dollar for dollar" argument, which is totally valid. for the same amount of money out of pocket, i am confident one can build a faster car starting with a mustang.

when you start with a $5k car, you can do alot with $25k to bring the total up to $30K. you can get major go fast parts and major suspension / handling parts for that kind of money.

even with everything i am doing, i won't be anywhere near $30k total invested in my car. and i think i might be a little faster that the average sti or evo ... :rolleyes:

Yeah and also, dont forget they are much more light

Incorrect. Not too sure on the Evo because we can't get'em up here north of the border, but the STI, with it's diff's and extra stiffening, isn't much lighter than my GT whatsoever

I've been in my friend's STI, and I will vouch for the claims that these cars can handle better than our best....but meh...they're teh ghey.