Interior and Upholstery Air bag safety

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
I have not seen info on this before here and a search is not bringing up anything.
What has to be done to disarm the air bag system on Fox Mustangs before changing modules, sensors or the bag?
Is disconnecting the battery enough? Are there capacitors that need to discharge before working on any part?

• Sponsors (?)

Disco the battery, turn on the headlights for a few minutes if your concerned, just don't let anybody sit behind the wheel when you hook the battery back up or close the hood the first time.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Next question, where are the crash sensors and how many are there?
I’m going to replace a cracked head light panel eventually. I do not know why it is cracked,?ot if there might be some radiator support damage I’ve not been able to see. Pulling and tapping on the core support and setting off the airbag would be exciting in a bad way. The last time I pulled one out was on my 91 SHO that had bumped a deer and set off ge air bags before I bought it. For insurability, I let Ford put the take out bags and modules in and check them out after the rest of the work was done.

2 crash sensors and one safing sensor on those old ones
The light blue module under the dash is the backup power supply on the early ones and the module itself on the newer ones
That is what you disconnect
A pic of a 91

air bags.jpg