Airbag Light

How many fox body owners have this problem, and just live with it?

• Yes - Just deal with it

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No - Not that common

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Middleagecrisis

Aug 23, 2020
Seguin
I've been chasing an airbag light since I bought my '93 GT about 6 months ago. I'm on my 3rd used airbag module, have correct voltage going to the module, yet have either a 52 code or airbag light stays on continuously, depending on the module I've installed. Am I expecting too much out of ~30 year old circuit card assemblies?

• Sponsors (?)

Mines been on my 93 of for awhile. I found an article I wish I saved , it was how to wire a 95 clocksping to a Fox body .Since you can't get a new one( discontinued) I believe the clockspring is the common problem.

I removed the lamp, took out the sounder from the module, and lastly disconnected the airbag it self in the steering wheel (to make darn sure it would never go off in my face). We have state inspections in MA, and an airbag light is a fail. That was my fix.

Reactions: 1 user
87-89 tilt column swap, momo wheel and adapter with original ford horn button. Remove bulb.
That's the solution. Most of the foxes i've driven over the years were 90+, you don't realize how good the tilt column is until you have one.

20170914_114025.jpg

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
Mines been on my 93 of for awhile. I found an article I wish I saved , it was how to wire a 95 clocksping to a Fox body .Since you can't get a new one( discontinued) I believe the clockspring is the common problem.
I have an OEM unused Clockspring . Here is the part number and description. I originally bought it for a Crown Vic and believe it will fit Fox bodies also. Let me know if you are interested.
Ford clockspring 1988-1992 - $60 (Durham, NC)
condition: new
make / manufacturer: Ford
model name / number: F1VC-14A664-AD
size / dimensions: 5" diameter, 2.5" high.
Ford clockspring for full sized Fords, Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, etc. between 1988 and later. NOS in original box with receipt from Ford dealer in 2000. Never used or installed. Includes tube of lubricant from dealer. May fit Mustangs of that era also. Buyer must check fitment. Ford part number F1VC-14A664-AD. See photos.

Nickb, Does that number change make a big difference? Here are some photos. Maybe they interchange? I have never taken apart a Fox later airbag equipped steering wheel, so I don't know. I think when I first tried to sell this clockspring, I saw a lot of interchange numbers from the Ford sites..
I have a 91 LX and an 89 LX, not sure why now, but I like them both. The 89 has the tilt wheel and it was loose when I bought it. I think the former owner started beating on it and never bothered to tighten the clamp bolts.
IMG_3351[1].JPG IMG_3352[1].JPG
George.