Engine Foxbody idle/throttle issues

• Sponsors (?)

got one head fully reassembled. Oddly enough, one of the rocker bolts was about an inch longer than the rest.. not sure why that is, and I’m beginning to worry about what the previous owner was doing. I’m going to hit the autostore and fastenal monday to get the seals and that bolt. I thought about reusing it but I’m not sure if I want to.

Also got the oil pan dropped down so now I just have to get that old gasket out of there and get the new one in. Any tips on ensuring it doesn’t leak? I’m also worried about getting old gasket material into the pan since I didn’t completely remove it.

Progress has been made! Heads and rockers are reinstalled, all set to proper preload. Timing cover, waterpump, balancer, radiator, and the power steering pump are also reinstalled.

I was rebuilding the injectors since as everyone knows, I wasn’t sure what the issue with the car was. Well, removing the injector filters absolutely destroyed my injectors. Oh well I guess, that’s an expensive lesson..

Now that I’m here, should I once again get 24lb injectors, or go 19lb? Car has an unidentified aftermarket cam (pretty sure), stock fuel pump, GT40 Heads, Explorer Intake, 1.6 Roller Rockers, 65mm throttle body and spacer, 24lb MAF, and a SVE air intake.

If the MAF is calibrated for 24's then just go back with them. Get some Ford Racing EV1 24's as they tend to be more reliable. If there is someone close by that can clean and flow the injectors they typically install new filters, o-rings, and pintle caps as part of the service.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
If the MAF is calibrated for 24's then just go back with them. Get some Ford Racing EV1 24's as they tend to be more reliable. If there is someone close by that can clean and flow the injectors they typically install new filters, o-rings, and pintle caps as part of the service.
I beat them up pretty bad removing the old filters. I didn’t realize until the third injector, there’s a brass fitting that should be coming out with the filter. I installed new filters without actually removing that brass ring. There’s also a little plastic ring on the fuel rail side of the injector that I crimped in a little bit trying to remove a filter. Not sure they’re fixable at this point.. at the very least I’d need to buy a new kit, but I’m scared to use these now whatever the advice is though I’ll follow it, whether I just get a new kit and try again, or buy brand new ones. If I buy new ones it’s going on a credit card lol. I’ll link a picture in a couple minutes of the damage I did.

Here’s the photo. In the center, you can see the brass ring of the old filter still in there. On 2 injectors, I tapped in a new filter ontop of that. You can also see that gray plastic ring I was referring to being chewed up and crimped in.

Attachments

• IMG_0904.png
    IMG_0904.png
    2 MB · Views: 10
Injectors are fixed! My shop instructor had the right tool and spare filters for the job. Hopefully they all work properly and seal well.

In other news, I may be dormant for a while. We are in transmission class so I actually went ahead and got a clutch to do that, and while draining the fluid on my 3 year old tremec T5 from LMR with probably 30k miles on it (no track time) the fluid was so metallic it looked like paint. Explains the 5th gear grind I started receiving not long ago, aswell as issues with getting stuck in reverse. I believe the warranty only lasted a year. We go into spring break next week, so I won’t see the car for a bit. Guess I’m rebuilding the trans let’s just hope it runs decent after this is all done.

I will continue to update this forum as progress continues when we return to class. Thanks everyone for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_0910.jpeg
    IMG_0910.jpeg
    775.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0911.jpeg
    IMG_0911.jpeg
    601.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0912.jpeg
    IMG_0912.jpeg
    696.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0913.jpeg
    IMG_0913.jpeg