• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Almost got is started... kind of a whoohoo??

  • Thread starter Thread starter 68converted
  • Start date Start date Jul 12, 2008

68converted

Member
Nov 19, 2003
772
0
16
Colorado
Jul 12, 2008
#1
  • Jul 12, 2008
  • #1
Everything checks out... Turned it over and got a pretty loud back fire. It kind of got a good "burble" sound just before the backfire, but would not start.

I am wondering if I the distributor stabbed at TDC. I could have sworn I confirmed it before putting on the valve covers???

Any ideas? Thanks
 

woodsnake

15 Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
1,352
15
69
Hicksville, NY
Jul 12, 2008
#2
  • Jul 12, 2008
  • #2
Back fire = timing. Number one cyl on the cap, timing pointer at "0", #1 Piston TDC....
 

68converted

Member
Nov 19, 2003
772
0
16
Colorado
Jul 13, 2008
#3
  • Jul 13, 2008
  • #3
Thanks. I check it tomorrow evening. There was a "checklist" that someone put together for a no start stituation on EFI. It may have been over on the 5.0 tech side. Too tired to search tonight.

I'll see what I can dig up... I did get all the wiring loomed back together after my fuel pump relay wiring fiasco. So when it does start, I can be free from the mess.
 

68converted

Member
Nov 19, 2003
772
0
16
Colorado
Jul 14, 2008
#4
  • Jul 14, 2008
  • #4
Timing it was... I had the timing set on the exhaust stroke. Woops. Got it all set now.

I do now have another concern. I had a small amount of fuel which had run out of the fuel pressure regulator. It was not a lot, but still leaking.

Is it a nessesity to have an adjustable FPR?
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

K
Resolved Weird sound coming from a freshly rebuilt 5.0L
  • karhoot
  • Jun 24, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
280
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 27, 2026
Mac131
F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
521
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
B
Engine Another no start after washing engine bay
  • bruno
  • Apr 26, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
877
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 7, 2026
AeroCoupe
F
1986 mustang no start
  • foxyjamss221
  • Oct 11, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
368
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Oct 13, 2025
foxyjamss221
F
Resolved 93 Mustang 5.0 - Cranks but does not start
  • dan50
  • Jul 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
344
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 18, 2026
dan50
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?