Almost had a bad day...

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
I took the 'Stang out the other day while I was doing some Christmas shopping. Kept smelling like the car was running progressively rich, until the point where it smelled like straight fuel.

Thought maybe a plug or plugs were fouled and it was running rich until I stopped and smelled fuel outside of the car. Popped the hood and smelled it pretty strongly. Immediately looked at the fuel injectors, nothing. I put new o-rings on them when I changed my intake manifold, so I would have been shocked if that was the issue.

Looked at the rails and the crossover line in the back, nothing.

Focused my attention to the fuel side of the nitrous. BINGO! The line running from the fuel rail to the solenoid was leaking at the solenoid fitting. The line was tight, but apparently the Teflon sealant on the fitting to the solenoid had deteriorated and the fitting somehow loosened just enough for it to drip fuel.

Scary part was, it was leaking a drop at a time and it was landing on the intake manifold right next to a coil. Glad it didn't end in flames.

• Sponsors (?)

I took the 'Stang out the other day while I was doing some Christmas shopping. Kept smelling like the car was running progressively rich, until the point where it smelled like straight fuel.

Thought maybe a plug or plugs were fouled and it was running rich until I stopped and smelled fuel outside of the car. Popped the hood and smelled it pretty strongly. Immediately looked at the fuel injectors, nothing. I put new o-rings on them when I changed my intake manifold, so I would have been shocked if that was the issue.

Looked at the rails and the crossover line in the back, nothing.

Focused my attention to the fuel side of the nitrous. BINGO! The line running from the fuel rail to the solenoid was leaking at the solenoid fitting. The line was tight, but apparently the Teflon sealant on the fitting to the solenoid had deteriorated and the fitting somehow loosened just enough for it to drip fuel.

Scary part was, it was leaking a drop at a time and it was landing on the intake manifold right next to a coil. Glad it didn't end in flames.

Last I checked gas will eat teflon tape. Try a high temp thread sealer like permatex and see if that will work better for you. I had to use it on the fitting of my manifold that connects to the heater. I tried teflon tap twice and both times it lasted about a week. Put some permatex thread sealer on the fitting and haven't had an issue in over a year.

Yea, after inspecting the other connections that seems to be what's going on. It has softened the Teflon and basically erodes at it until the gas can leak. Which means, I have two other spots that need to be fixed before long. I checked both today and they seem fine for now.

Leak is fixed, but I will be looking into Permatex now that you mentioned it. Thanks for the suggestion.