Alright guys, what's the stupid trick!?

Otto1970

Nov 24, 2007
South Florida
Got up this morning and started working on the car by trying to install the stupid dipstick, but I can't get to recess into the port on the block at all! I removed the header to change the angle going in with no luck. I also tried to use a flathead screwdriver and a hammer......Now my blood pressure is up a tick. Is there a tool that I need here? :mad:

Attachments

• 100_2360 (Small).jpg
    100_2360 (Small).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Sponsors (?)

i had the same problem. you need to take off all the bolts that hold your header to the block. then pull the headers off the block a little and then you can see the whole and just line it up nice and easy. it will go in. also take your fingure and make sure nothing got in that hole that shouldn't.

Well, I did take the header completely off to try to align the thing properly, so you're saying this is just a matter of aligning the tube properly? the motor is brand new, so contamination of any kind is nonexistent. I did try to install the old one to rule out a mismatch issue, but thanks; I'll keep trying I guess.

if the block was painted, it's probably really tight because someone allowed paint down there. But I don't see how you can have such a problem with it. Just keep trying I guess.

Man, there is literally a visable ringed groove on the dipstick housing now from my efforts to try to seat this thing, but I suppose the paint might not be helping here. Just got back from AutoZone and asked those guys. they were shaking their heads also. :(

I can't even envision this level of difficulty with reinstalling the dipstick. Even with my equal length shorty's, which have very little room between the tubes and the head where the dipstick passes through, it was easy.

I just put a droplight down by the hole in the block where the dipstick tube enters so I could see the hole better, put some black RTV on the tube where it would enter the block, slid the tube between the header tubes and the cylinder head, and slid the dipstick tube right in.

Is this the factory dipstick tube or an aftermarket piece? The OEM tube should slip in easily. Perhaps if you have an aftermarket dipstick the tube is a wider diameter?

So the vile little chrome tube is in its hole! Nothing that a 6" bench grinder and a dremel tool couldn't fix. Ford Racing proudly proclaims: "factory parts that win." I'd be happy with "factory parts that fit!" :rlaugh: Man, I hope that this isn't an omen of things to come with this build.

dammit ya beat me!! lol

I say put the old unit back into service, clean it up a little and your good, it looks like you have an aftermarket piece that is chrome? if that is the case you will most likely have to sand the end down for it to go in right, but if it was up to me I would clean the crap out of the old one and use it becasue you know it works..

use a micrometer to get a good measurement of the outside diameter of the dipstick tube just below where it is supposed to go in the block. with the measurement choose a drill bit that is .005 smaller and use this BY HAND to clean up the hole in the block if this does not help , use 220 grit sand paper and work the dipstick tube to bring it down. Good luck with your dipstick