Alright, I've dumped the codes

qwerty123

May 18, 2007
I dumped the codes but the ones that come up don't make too much sense to me. The first one was 45-Air not diverting-(AIRD) Air injection. The second was 67-Park neutral circuit fault-PNP and the third was 85-2.3L T/C Automatic-3/4-4/3 Shift solenoid-Transmission. My car has a tremec 3550 in it and it is a 5.0. ????? Why would these codes pop up? Maybe I am reading them wrong? HELP!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Code 67 - clutch not depressed (5 speed) or car not in neutral or park (auto) or A/C in On position when codes where dumped. Possible neutral safety switch or wiring problem. This code may prevent you from running the Key On Engine On tests. You can generally ignore this code, since it has no effect on engine performance.

The computer wants to make sure the A/C is off due to the added load on the engine for the engine running tests. It also checks to see that the transmission is in Neutral and the clutch depressed (T5, T56, Tremec 3550 & TKO)). This prevents the car from being driven while the computer is in test mode. Key On Engine Running test mode takes the throttle control away from the driver for several tests. This could prove hazardous if the computer was jumpered into test mode and then driven.

The NSS code 67 can be bypassed for testing. You will need to temporarily ground pin 30 to the chassis.

Code 85 - CANP solenoid - The Carbon Canister solenoid is inoperative. Check vacuum lines for leaks and cracks. Check electrical wiring for loose connections, damaged wiring and insulation. Check solenoid valve operation by grounding the gray/yellow wire to the solenoid and blowing through it.
The computer provides the ground for the solenoid. The red wire to the solenoid is always energized any time the ignition switch is in the run position.

Charcoal canister plumbing - one 3/8" tube from the bottom of the upper manifold to the rubber hose. Rubber hose connects to one side of the canister solenoid valve. Other side of the solenoid valve connects to one side of the canister. The other side of the canister connects to a rubber hose that connects to a line that goes all the way back to the gas tank. There is an electrical connector coming from the passenger side injector harness near #1 injector that plugs into the canister solenoid valve. It's purpose is to vent the gas tank. The solenoid valve opens at cruse to provide some extra fuel.

It does not weigh but a pound or so and helps richen up the cruse mixture. It draws no HP & keeps the car from smelling like gasoline in a closed garage. So with all these good things and no bad ones, why not hook it up & use it?

Ther is no valid code 45 for a 5.0 Mustang. You may have gotten a code 44 instead.

Codes 94 & 44 - AIR system inoperative - Air Injection. Check vacuum lines for leaks, & cracks. Disconnect the big hose from smog pump: with the engine running you should feel air output. Reconnect the smog pump hose & apply vacuum to the first vacuum controlled valve: Its purpose is to either dump the pump's output to the atmosphere or pass it to the next valve. The next vacuum controlled valve directs the air to either the cylinder heads when the engine is cold or to the catalytic converter when the engine is warm. Disconnect the big hoses from the back side of the vacuum controlled valve and start the engine. Apply vacuum to the valve and see if the airflow changes from one hose to the next.
The two electrical controlled vacuum valves mounted on the rear of the passenger side wheelwell turn the vacuum on & off under computer control. Check to see that both valves have +12 volts on the red wire. Then ground the white/red wire and the first solenoid should open and pass vacuum. Do the same thing to the light green/black wire on the second solenoid and it should open and pass vacuum.

Remember that the computer does not source power for any actuator or relay, but provides the ground necessary to complete the circuit. That means one side of the circuit will always be hot, and the other side will go to ground or below 1 volt as the computer switches on that circuit.

The computer provides the ground to complete the circuit to power the solenoid valve that turns the vacuum on or off. The computer is located under the passenger side kick panel. Remove the kick panel & the cover over the computer wiring connector pins. Check Pin 38 Solenoid valve #1 that provides vacuum to the first Thermactor control valve for a switch from 12-14 volts to 1 volt or less. Do the same with pin 32 solenoid valve #2 that provides vacuum to the second Thermactor control valve. Starting the engine with the computer jumpered to self test mode will cause all the actuators to toggle on and off. If after doing this and you see no switching of the voltage on and off, you can start testing the wiring for shorts to ground and broken wiring. An Ohm check to ground with the computer connector disconnected & the solenoid valves disconnected should show open circuit between the pin 32 and ground and again on pin 38 and ground. In like manner, there should be less than 1 ohm between pin 32 and solenoid valve #2 and pin 38 & Solenoid valve #1.

If after checking the resistance of the wiring & you are sure that there are no wiring faults, start looking at the solenoid valves. If you disconnect them, you can jumper power & ground to them to verify operation. Power & ground supplied should turn on the vacuum flow, remove either one and the vacuum should stop flowing.
See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host)

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/88-91eecPinout.gif

If you have a catalytic converter H pipe, you need to fix these codes. If you don't, then don't worry about them

attachment.php

Attachments

• Thermactor Air System 65%.GIF
    Thermactor Air System 65%.GIF
    48.8 KB · Views: 170,808
My car is doing the idle surge thing, so would any of this cause that? All the smog stuff has been taken off too. It has a pretty big cam in it also. I have had a couple cars that do this and I am just getting tired of it and figured I would try to hunt it down and get it taken care of. I have cleaned the IAC which didn't help. The mass air is a 75mm pro-m calibrated for my 30lb injectors which some people told me it isn't a very good MAF and that could be the cause of it. I don't know what else. The o2's maybe?

how much vacuum are you getting??? any vacuum leaks?? Get a vacuum gauge and check that out.. I would guess that that is your problem.. that or your iac is bad.. or tps is not set correctly... just a guess..

My car is doing the idle surge thing, so would any of this cause that? All the smog stuff has been taken off too. It has a pretty big cam in it also. I have had a couple cars that do this and I am just getting tired of it and figured I would try to hunt it down and get it taken care of. I have cleaned the IAC which didn't help. The mass air is a 75mm pro-m calibrated for my 30lb injectors which some people told me it isn't a very good MAF and that could be the cause of it. I don't know what else. The o2's maybe?

See "Surging Idle Checklist for help with all your idle problems. The first two posts contain all the updates to the fixes. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions.

I ground out the two holes in the IAC and it just made it idle higher. So, I got a new one from a buddy and now I am back to where I started. Anyone think the idle air adjustment plate would work? I might give it a try.