Alternate place for jack stands

FordRacing302

5 Year Member
Oct 1, 2005
Cleveland, TN
Im taking the tranny out of my '86 to replace my clutch. Ive gotten all the bolts out, and the only thing holding the tranny is the crossmember and the imput shaft. Im using one of those transmission jacks that fits on to your floor jack and the only way I can get to the tranny is from the side but I have 2 jack stands in the way on the subframes...So is there a place I can safely put the stands infront of the subframes???

• Sponsors (?)

I placed my jack stands on the A-arm under the spring perch. Don't know if it is the safest area but it seemed stable enough. Also backed it up with a jack under the Kmember.
Kevin

MikeC said:
You don't really need a trans jack for the T5. Just unbolt it from the bell housing and bench press it down. It's not too heavy. Don't try that with an AOD though.

some people arent that strong (me lol). I did it that way anyways. I used my feet too. I should have taken a video of it, I looked like a retard trying to hug a tree and tie my shoe at the same time.

Thank god I have access to a lift to put my clutch in. We done a clutch on a 94 toyota pickup on jackstands and that tranny was a NIGHTMARE. Every damn bolt felt like it was tightened almost to the point of stripping the threads, and that thing was hefty. The trans case had to come with the tranny so that made it worse trying to balance it.

yup i used the A-arms and then my floor jack under the trans. also helps to have a 2nd person to help balance it so it dosent fall over

the t5 is pretty light, ive managed to put one in alone... but the tremec is a heavy sob and wouldnt be able to do it alone. atleast not in a driveway on jackstands