Alternator won't charge after cluster Swap

lxsteed

Founding Member
Aug 12, 2002
Melbourne
So I'm installing a custom gauge cluster, and have a question about getting my alternator to charge. Right now the autometer volt gauge is tied into a 12v switched source, but I understand that there is a circuit within the stock cluster/harness that allows the alternator to charge. Can anyone explain which wires these are and how I can close it for the car to charge properly?

• Sponsors (?)

There is a circuit which allows the alternator to excite with the ignition on, so it will charge. Did you disturb any wiring in the steering column at all? Here's a couple wiring diagrams from Autozone's website that might help locate the wires you're looking for.

Interior/body diagram:

interiorbodyharness.jpg

Underhood charging system diagram:

underhoodcharging.jpg

The voltmeter sits right around 11-12 volts and does not change. It used to vary with the rpms before. At the battery while the car is running, I get 11.62 Volts. I have a battery tender that I've been leaving on, and have noticed after a while of sitting, and turning the key, it will show about 12v, then dip down once the car is running.

I have not messed with any of the wires on the column, other than maybe moving them slightly since the cover is off.