Alum Flywheel

Okay, I am new to StangNet so Hello all! I have a question...I am replacing my stock clutch with a new Centerforce Dual Friction. What should I do with the flywheel while the tranny is off? Should I just resurface it, or just get a new one? Should I go with Aluminum? I have seen a lot of aluminum Fidanza's advertised for reasonalbe prices...what do you think about these flywheels?

Any help is appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Your stocker is 27 lbs... if you're going for a lighter flywheel don't go below 12 lbs or you start running into trouble. Don't know much about fidanza's flywheel... but anywho a good rule of thumb is a lb lost on the drivetrain is about the equivalent of a hp gained (or not lost due to drivetrain loss rather) so if you want to spend the money, go for it :)

I would just do a aluminum flywheel while your at it. It will be easier than getting a flywheel down the road and have to take all that a part agin.

I have a Ford Racing Aluminum flywheel on order as we speak to go with my Mcleod clutch. It weights in at 13Lbs, i think.

svttech76 said:
aluminum would be the best way to go. but if you are not going to do the aluminum i would do some sort of flywheel. i really don't like to resurface them anymore, i just have seen way to many issues come up with chatter due to poor surface texture.
right on the exact reason i went aluminum since it has replaceable steel friction plates. so i dont have to deal with getting it resurfaced.

svttech76 said:
aluminum would be the best way to go. but if you are not going to do the aluminum i would do some sort of flywheel. i really don't like to resurface them anymore, i just have seen way to many issues come up with chatter due to poor surface texture.
:Word: at least get a new one

ToplessStang said:
Even the CenterForce site says that they are not recommended for street use. I had mine resurfaced. No chatter problems yet.

yeah you CAN get the flywheel resurfaced. but if the machine shop sucks i hope you like removing the tranny again. we just had way to many problems. and a stock flywheel is cheap, what are we talking about a 80 dollar difference. i am looking at it from a shop point of veiw. for us it's just flat out not worth it. and ford agrees with me.

ford does not want us to machine flywheels on warrenty repairs. they want us to use a new stock flywheel. when ford spends the money on a part there is a reason for it.

and about using a aluminum flywheel on a street car. i have done it before and not had a problem, does the centerforce give a reason. maybe they have had vibration problems with them.

I've been looking at these two...What do you think? Which one? Neither? Any Suggestions?

Fidanza:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8042322916&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

Exedy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8042391513&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

I just spoke with centerforce, and they said to stay away from the aluminum, unless you are road racing or going to stay in the pedal for a period of time. With the Al you lose the low end, bad for daily driving. He suggested if you have something that weighs more than a sport compact, go with billet steel. After that being said....would the Exedy be worth the buy since it weighs 21 lbs versus the stock 27. It's a slight drop, but what about the quality?

Hmm. Why would the lighter flywheel cause a loss in low end torque/hp?? I thought the point was to reduce rotating mass/weight... Seems like you would simply be allowing the motor to get all the ponies to the rear wheels a little more easily. Same as a lighter driveshaft...?