Aluminum "standard size" or brass 3-core?

Fett

Nov 2, 2004
After talking about how a stock radiator and a Taurus fan on the low speed works fine.....95* weather started up and now I am running warmer than normal.

Everything is new, fan is working, car is not running hot....just running higher than normal. So I figured a new radiator to replace my stocker would be in order. I searched and read a lot of opinions, but as usual I am getting mixed signals.

From what I have been able to find there are two basic choices, a larger 3-core rad, or an aluminum, which most of those seem to be "direct replacement", which to me means the same size as the stocker, just made of aluminum.

So bottom line, which is the better way to go, a stock thickness aluminum radiator or a thicker brass?

• Sponsors (?)

Aluminum. End of story.

That's not exactly true.

Recently there has been a huge insurgence of aluminum radiators. While aluminum certainly has its place, there really is no advantage in street applications. While copper is approximately three times the density of aluminum, what is critical for optimal radiator operation is thermal conductivity. Copper/Brass fin's conductivity is 70% higher than for aluminum fin. Net-Net Copper/Brass fins will "reject heat" better than aluminum fins.

Radiator tube strength is equally, if not more, important in a street application. Brass, of course, is considerably stronger than aluminum. This overall strength allows for thinner walled tubes which more than compensate for the difference in conductivity.

Taking advantage of these characteristics – superior thermal conductivity, strength and corrosion resistance – manufacturers can use thinner material throughout and thereby design a copper/brass radiator having a lower total weight than one made from aluminum, but with the same or better heat rejection capacity.

Ok...so you are saying that a brass radiator will cool better than an aluminum? I was always under the understanding that all things being equal, brass/metal radiators do not cool as well as a same sized aluminum radiator. Which is why I am asking in the first place.

Today I got my hands on an aluminum radiator with plastic tanks for $85, new. I don't want to put it in if it isn't going to cool as well as a new stock radiator, or a thicker one.

Simply put, I am looking for the best option for a replacement radiator. Thicker brass, or stock sized aluminum.

i run a single core aluminum with plastic tanks, cools the 351 just fine.. i also have a clutch fan with new parts so that helps. When the coupe goes together it'll have an electric fan hooked up with 2 switches, hi and lo speed.. lo will be on all the time after warm up

Chris, be careful with the crimped tanks.

Mustang78, be cognizant of your fan speed positions. You do not want high and low engaged at the same time (your post read as if this could be so).

Cool post by #455. Copper brass gets my vote when I can find it anymore also. Just know that realistically speaking, either should reject enough heat.