• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Amazing HDR pics!

  • Thread starter Thread starter stprorolla49
  • Start date Start date Feb 18, 2008
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2

stprorolla49

Active Member
Oct 9, 2004
1,455
15
39
Fairfield, CT/North Jersey
Feb 18, 2008
#21
  • Feb 18, 2008
  • #21
Zero Signal said:
HDR mixing is fun. Problem being it looks really weird in print though. If you don't do bracket exposures, you end up with a noisy flat image.
Click to expand...

Really? I was thinking of printing one of them and framing it...will it look bad?
 
I

iwashmycar

20+ Year Stangneter
Apr 7, 2004
1,236
1
39
Columbus, Ohio
Feb 18, 2008
#22
  • Feb 18, 2008
  • #22
Bosko5.0 said:
HOLY SHEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those look AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click to expand...

dawt.
 

Zero Signal

Active Member
Feb 24, 2003
2,633
2
46
Tucson, AZ
Feb 19, 2008
#23
  • Feb 19, 2008
  • #23
Those won't look too bad, they will be pretty dark in print. The brighter one with the other cars will probably print nicely. Saying HDR images don't print well is a broad generalization. Some of them WILL print well, but you have to watch for noise and color dithering when you mix it. The ones you posted are pretty clean. I would recommend taking them to a real print shop, not Wallgreens. They'll know what to do to get all the levels right and will be worth the money.
 

GreenStangGT

Member
Jan 29, 2004
135
7
18
Feb 19, 2008
#24
  • Feb 19, 2008
  • #24
Zero Signal said:
Those won't look too bad, they will be pretty dark in print. The brighter one with the other cars will probably print nicely. Saying HDR images don't print well is a broad generalization. Some of them WILL print well, but you have to watch for noise and color dithering when you mix it. The ones you posted are pretty clean. I would recommend taking them to a real print shop, not Wallgreens. They'll know what to do to get all the levels right and will be worth the money.
Click to expand...

I'm going to have to call . While I agree that there are some issues with HDR images not printing well, many of those issues are on the way out. I don't think those images would be dark in print form. Also, a local lab does little more than Wal-Greens when given a high-resolution digital image. I think the local lab would be of higher quality, but only marginally so. You should get an 8X10 from both and let us know how they turn out.
 

milewsky80

Member
Nov 25, 2004
69
0
6
Weirton, WV
Feb 19, 2008
#25
  • Feb 19, 2008
  • #25
those are amazing
 

Zero Signal

Active Member
Feb 24, 2003
2,633
2
46
Tucson, AZ
Feb 19, 2008
#26
  • Feb 19, 2008
  • #26
I'm going to have to call . While I agree that there are some issues with HDR images not printing well, many of those issues are on the way out. I don't think those images would be dark in print form. Also, a local lab does little more than Wal-Greens when given a high-resolution digital image. I think the local lab would be of higher quality, but only marginally so. You should get an 8X10 from both and let us know how they turn out.
Click to expand...

I notice a huge different in quality between 1-hour labs and the local lab (Photographic Works). The color rendition and edges are FAR better. They are good with white balance whereas I've had 1-hour photo labs botch the white balance pretty bad along with colors out of alignment (weird red or green edges). IF there is a problem with any of the prints (i.e. too dark, or contrast), a real printer will be able to help with it, whereas the 1-hour lab will not touch them.

I had Walgreens develop a set of company portraits I took last year (I was being uber cheap and wanted to get away with it). I made sure the images were totally perfect when I brought them in. Nonetheless, the white balance was horribly green on one set and overly red on another. On screen, they looked the same. I tried to overcompensate and re-print, they were still out of whack. I took them to the real printer and the originals came out perfect the first time.

Sorry, I'm getting off topic!

I haven't printed an HDR image since I trip I made to Mexico in 05 where they just didn't look very good on paper (noise, dithering). So my HDR printability info may be dated I need to look into again if it's getting better nowdays, the HDR is good stuff
 

DDSTANG94

New Member
Dec 9, 2006
465
2
0
FRASER, MICHIGAN
Feb 19, 2008
#27
  • Feb 19, 2008
  • #27
I seriously got chills looking at these pictures...and I dont know why?!!

They are amazing pics, ur car is sick
 

stprorolla49

Active Member
Oct 9, 2004
1,455
15
39
Fairfield, CT/North Jersey
Feb 19, 2008
#28
  • Feb 19, 2008
  • #28
DDSTANG94 said:
I seriously got chills looking at these pictures...and I dont know why?!!

They are amazing pics, ur car is sick
Click to expand...

Thanks man!!
 

PUNISHER RACING

Active Member
Aug 27, 2007
1,124
0
36
FORD CITY, PA.
Feb 19, 2008
#29
  • Feb 19, 2008
  • #29
nice ! I am trying to get a friend of mine to redfire his 97 Love the color!
 

GreenStangGT

Member
Jan 29, 2004
135
7
18
Feb 19, 2008
#30
  • Feb 19, 2008
  • #30
Zero Signal said:
I notice a huge different in quality between 1-hour labs and the local lab (Photographic Works). The color rendition and edges are FAR better. They are good with white balance whereas I've had 1-hour photo labs botch the white balance pretty bad along with colors out of alignment (weird red or green edges). IF there is a problem with any of the prints (i.e. too dark, or contrast), a real printer will be able to help with it, whereas the 1-hour lab will not touch them.

I had Walgreens develop a set of company portraits I took last year (I was being uber cheap and wanted to get away with it). I made sure the images were totally perfect when I brought them in. Nonetheless, the white balance was horribly green on one set and overly red on another. On screen, they looked the same. I tried to overcompensate and re-print, they were still out of whack. I took them to the real printer and the originals came out perfect the first time.

Sorry, I'm getting off topic!

I haven't printed an HDR image since I trip I made to Mexico in 05 where they just didn't look very good on paper (noise, dithering). So my HDR printability info may be dated I need to look into again if it's getting better nowdays, the HDR is good stuff
Click to expand...

I have never had that varied of quality between the two sources. I definitely believe that the local shop I use (American Color Imaging) is better than Wal-Greens or whatnot, and I also agree that the edges are the most significant difference. Who knows, maybe it's just the experience I've had and been lucky, or you've had and been unlucky.

But as far as HDR printing goes,... there really has been a lot of improvement. I do a lot with photography of all kinds, including some HDR, and have been impressed with many of the prints I've made. Even the pictures above, using a home photo printer, looked pretty darn good. You should definitely try some more newly produced HDR works and see if they aren't a lot better than your previous experiences.

Nonetheless, I think we both agree that the images are excellent! Nice looking car!
 
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

5
Hello Everyone !
  • 5150K
  • Jul 3, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
0
Views
145
The Welcome Wagon Jul 3, 2026
5150K
5
G
First Car Forum... EVER.
  • Godless
  • Sep 9, 2025
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
2
Views
276
The Welcome Wagon Sep 9, 2025
General karthief
Place to Avoid: Jamison Auto Group in Gulfport, MS
  • D Durden
  • Oct 20, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
46
Views
3K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 16, 2026
Noobz347
J
Progress Thread Family member 1989 GT- Backstory and updates
  • JRC99
  • Apr 19, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
15
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Oct 26, 2025
JRC99
J
For Sale 94 Cobra 408w AOD Project For Sale
  • Labora
  • Oct 11, 2024
  • SN95 Mustangs For Sale (1994-04)
Replies
3
Views
1K
SN95 Mustangs For Sale (1994-04) Aug 17, 2026
Labora
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?