Amp power wire through firewall

I want to start off by thanking everyone who continually post here and the great community we have. I purchased a clean stock 89 lx last September as my first car and have since gone on to buy an additional project fox and parts car with my father, I have found myself coming back to this forum time and time again, realizing others have had similar issues as myself which have been resolved.

On my main driver, I'm looking into installing a five-channel amp to pair with the aftermarket speakers installed and a subwoofer included in my purchase of the project car. I have found many people recommending running the amp power wire through the grommet for the steering shaft, and have even found evidence of this being done in my two other cars. Something about making a hole in that grommet makes me nervous. I'm interested to hear if this is the way most people have done the install or if there is an alternative, I'm also not very keen on drilling a hole and installing my own grommet.

• Sponsors (?)

If you open the drivers side door there is a grommet about 1 inch around. It works perfect for running wires. It's located below the hinge. I hate cutting holes in steering column boots....or anything that isn't replaceable.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
These are the best 2 places I have found - both on the driver's side. The first, as mentioned, is accessed from the kick panel area and exits near the door hinges. The other can be accessed from the firewall area and exits into the fenderwell. This is a good spot if you have a non-cruise control car.

Attachments

• IMG_20210713_083313.jpg
    IMG_20210713_083313.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_20210713_083329.jpg
    IMG_20210713_083329.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Love it guy! Just be real careful insulating the alternator and amp wires. Use heavy gauge wire and buy a good ammeter. I had one in my old Camaro back in the day. Fun watching the amps thump thru the ammeter. I would use one of the big new fuses so you don't cook your :poo: like I just about did. My car had a 37 amp charging system on it and I was running about 85 amps thru two Fosgates. My ammeter melted and started on fire going down the freeway. Some Fun! Those were the days. Going at it again currently with my 94 E150 3 amps 12 speakers Ultra caps 2 12 inch Cerwin Vegas the works

I want to start off by thanking everyone who continually post here and the great community we have. I purchased a clean stock 89 lx last September as my first car and have since gone on to buy an additional project fox and parts car with my father, I have found myself coming back to this forum time and time again, realizing others have had similar issues as myself which have been resolved.

On my main driver, I'm looking into installing a five-channel amp to pair with the aftermarket speakers installed and a subwoofer included in my purchase of the project car. I have found many people recommending running the amp power wire through the grommet for the steering shaft, and have even found evidence of this being done in my two other cars. Something about making a hole in that grommet makes me nervous. I'm interested to hear if this is the way most people have done the install or if there is an alternative, I'm also not very keen on drilling a hole and installing my own grommet.
Run a new hole like the general said and use a good holesaw. Get a hand full of grommets from the junkyard