Amp/Stereo install question

I just installed an Alpine HU in my glovebox...Pioneer kick panels and Infinity 6x9's in the package tray. I'm waiting on my Alpine 4 Channel V-Power Series Amplifier (360W Max Power) to arrive. I have only hooked up an amp in a new car never in a classic. One question...how do I hook this up?

I know the amp will need power. Where should I tap? Do I need to be concerned with overloading the alternater (stock)?

• Sponsors (?)

YOu hook up the amp the same in old cars as you do new cars. Positive fused lead to the battery, <18" negative ground to chassis, remote turn on lead from HU to amp, either RCA cable or High level inputs from HU to amp, amp to speakers, done!

no don't use 18AWG wire to power an amp;)

hes saying the ground from the amp should be no longer than 18 inches, the ground needs to be as close to the amp as possible. i would use minimum 10 AWG preferably 8 AWG if you can bite the extra expence.

another tip to get your power output up on the amp, make sure you ground the body to the negative lead on your battery with a new ground strap using the same guage wire as the power to the amp. this will make sure there are no bottle necks in the power.

put a fuse no further than 18 inches from the 12+ terminal of ur battery. this will help prevent fires if the power cable rubs on any metal. fuses don't prevent amp burn out, they prevent car burn up :D

19simmons65 said:
68:

Are you saying that the lead to the battery should also be an 18 gauge wire fused directly to the positive post connector or that the wire should have an in-line fuse to prevent amp burn out? Or both?

No 18 gauge wire would be too small. I am saying you want your amp ground as close to your amp as you can reasonably get. 18 inches is a good number. Your amplifier main power lead should be a heavy gauge fused cable directly off of the positive battery post. You also want the inline fuse as close to the battery as you can reasonably get. And make sure you don't pull the stunt my buddy did back in high school, make sure the fuse is NOT in place when you are running the positive lead through the body :) Better yet do not even connect the lead to the battery until all wire is in place.

jst6 said:
no don't use 18AWG wire to power an amp;)

hes saying the ground from the amp should be no longer than 18 inches, the ground needs to be as close to the amp as possible. I would use minimum 10 AWG preferably 8 AWG if you can bite the extra expenSe.

jst was responding at the same time I was, he is correct. Also like he said, your amp positive lead and your amp ground lead should be the same gauge cable.

360watts = 30amps at 12volts.

So you'll need power and ground wires that will be able to handle that kind of current.

8 guage is good for 45amps, 10guage is good for about 25amps. So it looks like you'll want to use 8 guage wire for power and ground.

MAKE SURE YOU FUSE IT! And put the fuse as close to the battery as possible. Too many cars have burnt to the ground because of improperly fused stereo equipment.