Electrical Premium Stereo

fredfifty

Nov 23, 2011
SF Bay Area
I have the preemo setup (factory amp plus 6 speakers) and wanted to upgrade. I ordered a deck and amp bypass harness adapter (metra 70-5006). I also purchased the 4 channel mini alpine amp (45w x 4) but im wondering does this harness adapter power the 6 speakers or just 4? Or do i need to use the alpine amp to power the door and rear deck speakers, and have the stereo push the dash speakers?

Another setup i was considering, is the standalone setup. Since i like the stock tape deck look, i was thinking to hook up the alpine amp and run a rca-to-jack adapter directly from the amp to my iphone (which would technically be the head unit). Has anyone done this?

• Sponsors (?)

Dan02gt

mazing how much gas smell came from that tiny hole
10 Year Member
Mar 2, 2003
Greenville, NC
My car had 6 speakers in it when I got it but not the premium sound system. The dash and door speakers were just wired in parallel with each other. I installed a component set and used the factory wiring for the mids in the doors and ran new wires to the tweeters that I installed in the dash were the 3.5" speakers normally are. I used the Metra harness to interface my Alpine amp to factory wiring. Here's a picture of the amp and passive crossovers under my passenger's side seat.
20170114_210627.jpg

Dan02gt

mazing how much gas smell came from that tiny hole
10 Year Member
Mar 2, 2003
Greenville, NC
Thanks! It has been great so far. Plenty of power in a small footprint. It's actually the 2nd one I've owned. The 1st lived in my boat for 2 years till I added a sub and swapped it for a 5 channel. It was also flawless.

When I got the car it didn't have a factory amp just a Sony head unit wired into the factory wiring with a Metra harness. I guess it could have been removed long ago.

Reactions: 1 user