Analog White Face Air Fuel Ratio Gauges

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
I think these things are going the way of the Dodo bird. That last really nice gauge that I saw was the Greddy AFR gauge. Now you're hard pressed to even find an image of the thing on the interwebz.

Second best IMO and still available although scarce is the Innovate:

1583540632403.png

Straight up analog 5v AFR wideband gauge.

So here's my question: What other straight analog 5v input gauges are out there that I'm missing? Most of the ones I see being sold today come as part of a kit that already includes the sensor and signal processor.

I just want a straight up analog AFR gauge that I can feed from a 5V source :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Some maybe but you gotta be careful what it is you're looking at:

While some information is well-displayed in digits, other information is nearly worthless if you can't get a feel for the rate of change from the sweep of a needle. Holley EFI analog display gauges use digitally delivered information over Holley's sophisticated CAN bus, but with a traditional analog display. They get their information from the Holley ECU, meaning that you don't have to run wires all over the vehicle. Also, because they use bus communication technology, all you have to do is run a single wire to the ECU and then daisy-chain the gauges. Holley analog display EFI gauges feature a threaded body that allows a single bezel nut to hold the gauge firmly in place. Slim-style mounting requires very little dash space for installation.

They are not all as they appear. There's a bunch of pseudo-proprietary junk out there too. Use with system x but not system y etc. Nice looking gauges tho.

Here's another one from the same page: Notes:Includes 8 ft. wiring harness with Bosch sensor, has data logger 0-5V output.

So, one of those is CAN bus and the other comes with a ton of junk I don't want.

The one Greddy used to make looked just like this one:

1583556699215.png

Full sweep 0-5V, accurate as fck, and had two buttons and a dial. A hold/release button, a high/low replay button, and a dial for an analog marker.

I'm still poking around for an image of it.

Years ago I had one from AEM , at that time I was supercharged and ran it with stock ecu to monitor afr.
Didn't have any recall buttons on it , just a simple easy to install analog afr gauge.
Not sure if they changed it or not but it looked very similar to this .
Amazon product ASIN B00MU1A06QView: https://www.amazon.com/AEM-Electronics-30-5130-Wideband-Gasoline/dp/B00MU1A06Q/ref=asc_df_B00MU1A06Q/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=351635609994&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=66532

Just a few years ago you couldn't go through this forum without finding a thread about someone taking one of these gauges and wiring it up to a narrow band. I mean, it was useless. It was little more than a light show.

Now, it's hard to find just the bare 5V gauges. What's weird about it is that [now] there are more folks with equipment already installed that would allow the use of bare gauges.

Just a few years ago you couldn't go through this forum without finding a thread about someone taking one of these gauges and wiring it up to a narrow band. I mean, it was useless. It was little more than a light show.

Now, it's hard to find just the bare 5V gauges. What's weird about it is that [now] there are more folks with equipment already installed that would allow the use of bare gauges.
What I had was a wideband , installed bung , 02 sensor etc.
But I do remember the light show gauges, most were installed in the A-pillar ..looked cool lol.

What I had was a wideband , installed bung , 02 sensor etc.
But I do remember the light show gauges, most were installed in the A-pillar ..looked cool lol.

I had and still have an LM-1. Back then and now still, it is arranged in the car so that I can reference the digital gauge.

I'd like to put it away completely and use a [nice] gauge just for referencing.

It looks like Innovate still sells gauges individually as kit replacements:
1583591162626.png

This might not be a horrible option.

I ain't skeered to pull all the gauges and replace bulbs so that they're all the same color. :chin

:shrug: I just use software to make my gauges look however I want them too on the dashboard.....

benefit of having good software and a well designed and thought out digital gauge cluster...

Not that there's anything wrong with that :shrug:

But... You already know that I'm an analog gauge whore. That one of the reasons I went to work for a company building driver adaptors going from computers to analog gauges :D

1583596925189.png

The row of standby gauges across the top. Hell, even the magnetic compass was computer driven (although that thing didn't hold up very well). When they build the compass, they used the wrong motor style and it gets way too hot.

Similar in nature to what you're doing and a portion of it is actually CANbus where it ties in with the flight model.

Check these out. I haven't purchased either so I can't speak to their quality, but I like the features. If anyone out there has any experience with these brands, I would love to hear feedback.

Customizable:
https://www.speedhut.com/gauges/Air-Fuel-Gauges/?catid=f1

Another option:
https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/air-fuel-ratio-gauges

I prefer reading AFR in lambda over AFR, since it gives you a direct correlation to the rich/lean percentage. This is really helpful if you are calibrating fuel maps or transient compensation. For this reason I'm partial to the Speed-hut version since it's one of the few analog gauges that displays in lambda. The only downside with Speed Hut's version is that you have to use a compatible wideband controller to match the analog voltage range.

• Hell Yeah!
Check these out. I haven't purchased either so I can't speak to their quality, but I like the features. If anyone out there has any experience with these brands, I would love to hear feedback.

Customizable:
https://www.speedhut.com/gauges/Air-Fuel-Gauges/?catid=f1

Another option:
https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/air-fuel-ratio-gauges

I prefer reading AFR in lambda over AFR, since it gives you a direct correlation to the rich/lean percentage. This is really helpful if you are calibrating fuel maps or transient compensation. For this reason I'm partial to the Speed-hut version since it's one of the few analog gauges that displays in lambda. The only downside with Speed Hut's version is that you have to use a compatible wideband controller to match the analog voltage range.

This is pretty near the Greddy piece I mentioned originally:

Not that there's anything wrong with that :shrug:

But... You already know that I'm an analog gauge whore. That one of the reasons I went to work for a company building driver adaptors going from computers to analog gauges :D

1583596925189.png

The row of standby gauges across the top. Hell, even the magnetic compass was computer driven (although that thing didn't hold up very well). When they build the compass, they used the wrong motor style and it gets way too hot.

Similar in nature to what you're doing and a portion of it is actually CANbus where it ties in with the flight model.
Check that guy out, talk about 'analog '!
Wait a minute, didn't he crash that thing?

Not really wanting to hijack your thread, but what brands are preferred for AF ratio gauges? I've been window shopping for one for my Cobra II so I can tune my Holley as best I can and there are a number of them out there. I was looking for something around $150 or so since I'm thinking I'll need to buy the accelerator pump tuning kit for another $160+/- along with it. I've read somewhere that there are some that don't read correctly....?? Not that my carburetor will be as precise as injection, but it would be nice to see it perform as close to optimum as possible.

Look at 14point7.com for a great and affordable wideband, use a spartan 2. you can pair it with a 0-5v afr gauge of your choosing. I use these on everything and they are fast, reliable, and cheap.