Annoying Rattle.......

BackInBlack

5 Year Member
Oct 9, 2011
Southern California
Ive noticed with some 05-09 Mustangs the interior starts to rattle after a certain amount of time. It did it with my V6 and now my GT...But sadly I cannot figure out where it is coming from.

If anyone owns Pypes Pype bomb Exhaust or any other type of Resonator/straight pipe with or without Xpipe and you have rattle please tell me....Im goin crazy. I cant tell if it any of the plastic interior, the spare tire compartment or the exhaust hangers!!!!!! because everyhitng looks fine..but doesnt sound fine.

• Sponsors (?)

I have the boom tubes and pypes off road h pipe. I get a squeak that is absolutely MADDENING! Sometimes not really noticeable, others deafening. Nothing has to change for it to start. Sometimes I think it is in the trunk or where they hang, other times I think it rattles up front in or under the dash area. Can't find it.

I had a trunk rattle that drove me nuts. Turned out to be the factory clip with the nut on it that was on the bracket for the Shaker 1000 sub. Look in the trunk to the right, up under the fender. Might have to move the liner to see it.

Mine's got the Shaker 500.

Its coming somewhere from the trunk. Ive checked the spare tire and my hanger bolts/hangers themselves...its a really random tickicng sound and a rattle.

Take a look at your over axles (exhaust tubes) and see if they are contacting the body or axle anywhere. Have someone put some weight on the rear springs while you look.

Inspect control arm bushings and spring isolators.

Check for play in the outer shock tubes.

Try and isolate when the noise happens when it happens. Is it while on the throttle, during cruise, or during cornering etc.

Take a look at your over axles (exhaust tubes) and see if they are contacting the body or axle anywhere. Have someone put some weight on the rear springs while you look.

Inspect control arm bushings and spring isolators.

Check for play in the outer shock tubes.

Try and isolate when the noise happens when it happens. Is it while on the throttle, during cruise, or during cornering etc.

It happens whenever even just at idle and im not moving. very random too.

Check the heat shields on the catalytic converters. Tap on them with a rubber mallet or something that won't damage them. If one of the heat shields on the top is the culprit then you may have to hit it pretty hard to get it to rattle so using a metal hammer may not be the best idea.

If you don't have a rubber mallet then you can use a short length of wood between the shield and hammer.