Another 75 ponies??

WldstrawbryLX

Mar 21, 2004
Everett,WA
I know these 5.0's are rated at 225hp from the factory. With that being said, whats a good way to get another 75 ponies so I'll be on par with alot of these newer cars and trucks that have 300hp from the factory. I'm thinking bolt on stuff. Dont have the fat wallet for h/c/i swap. I have Flowmasters for what its worth, as well as a Crane HI-6 iggy box and LX 91 coil. WWYD?? (what would you do?) :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

lol all you need to do to beat a "300 hp factory truck" is to swap in a set of gears, dont add more horses, just multiply what you have, seems pointless to spend alot of money to get 75 HP just to say you have more than a new truck.

Hell you should be able to take one now without gears, arent most of the powerful trucks also HEAVY, they have to move alot more weight than just a tiny mustang so yeah....

but the only factory 300 hp cars are usually EXPENSIVE and are smaller tubocharged engines. I'd rather have a v8 that HAS the power to start with.

I hear kids say all the time "those new SCed cobalts run 13.5 stock, they are badass"

i am thinking "yeah and thats about how fast they will go, i mean what can you do to a newer motor nowadays?? besides the almight cone filter and CAI"

or you could turbo your mustang and totally kill anything you meet on the road.

super charger would be cheaper than an H/C/I because with the heads comes new bolts, gaskets, pushrods (depending on size) Roller rockers, (head bolt bucshings in some apps) i spent over 1500 on just my heads and all the new stuff to put them on, plust the 200 dollar cam, and the 400 dollar intake which i belive w/ all taxes puts you a tad over 2000, and a novi 1000 super charger i belive is about 1800 bucks and you can even find a used one for like 1200 or 1500 if you look hard enough, and i beleivea its easier to install a supercharger than it is to swap H/C/I because you gotta take the whole front of the motor apart to get to the cam..... GOOD LUCK tryna get 75 horse power practically free, just bite the bullet and save up like the rest of us who swore we wouldn't until we just got a little too hungry for power, and spend around 2K (and thats if you do all the work yourself, no labor costs involved LOL) cuz unless u do NOS, which will be cheaper than 1000 bucks ( I beleive, didn't do much research on nos) ur not getting 300 horses. I'm doing a SHHHIT LOAD of work to my car, including heads cam and intake, and i'm not even gonna break 300 when its all said and done, i'll be lucky to break 290 lol GOOD LUCK my man.... come to grips with reality, it took me a few months to realize i wanted to go faster, and that it was gonna cost me....

:cheers:
Paul Perreca said:
super charger would be cheaper than an H/C/I because with the heads comes new bolts, gaskets, pushrods (depending on size) Roller rockers, (head bolt bucshings in some apps) i spent over 1500 on just my heads and all the new stuff to put them on, plust the 200 dollar cam, and the 400 dollar intake which i belive w/ all taxes puts you a tad over 2000, and a novi 1000 super charger i belive is about 1800 bucks and you can even find a used one for like 1200 or 1500 if you look hard enough, and i beleivea its easier to install a supercharger than it is to swap H/C/I because you gotta take the whole front of the motor apart to get to the cam..... GOOD LUCK tryna get 75 horse power practically free, just bite the bullet and save up like the rest of us who swore we wouldn't until we just got a little too hungry for power, and spend around 2K (and thats if you do all the work yourself, no labor costs involved LOL) cuz unless u do NOS, which will be cheaper than 1000 bucks ( I beleive, didn't do much research on nos) ur not getting 300 horses. I'm doing a SHHHIT LOAD of work to my car, including heads cam and intake, and i'm not even gonna break 300 when its all said and done, i'll be lucky to break 290 lol GOOD LUCK my man.... come to grips with reality, it took me a few months to realize i wanted to go faster, and that it was gonna cost me....

I definatly see where your coming from...but not all H/C/I swaps cost nearly that much, you dont need to get a 1500 set of heads when your just looking for 75 hp...If you wanan go all out H/C/I then yes it could definatly be more especially after labor and all that bs but for a cheap H/C/I I think that would probably be cheaper. BUt thats just my opinion :nice: Either way...good luck

Dbeck002 said:
I dont want to sound like an asz but if you think nitrous is out of your price range than forget the 75hp.

...nitrous is definatly the cheapest way to get the 75hp....then you definatly need gears bc nitrous is the cheapers hp per $ ratio there is. I think you will be satisfied with just the gears anyway :nice:

tmoss said:
300FWHP can be had with GT40/GT40P heads and an Explorer intake - should be ~$300 from a JY who will seperate them from a shortblock. Explorer engines around here go for $500-600.
perfectly said. thats what my car has, and its got to be the best budget build up there is. Anyway, how experienced are you in car building and stuff?

Hmm lets see.....according the parts catalogs.

Headers 15hp
OR H-Pipe 10hp
Catback 10hp
CAI 10hp
Pulleys 10hp
Titanium Spark Plugs 5hp
Electric Supercharger 15hp

There you go 75hp more.

Seriously though, gears are your best bet or you can always do what tmoss suggested. I am not sure what kind of budget you are dealing with but thats a pretty significant jump in HP to get with little dough.

Lyncher said:
:cheers:

I definatly see where your coming from...but not all H/C/I swaps cost nearly that much, you dont need to get a 1500 set of heads when your just looking for 75 hp...If you wanan go all out H/C/I then yes it could definatly be more especially after labor and all that bs but for a cheap H/C/I I think that would probably be cheaper. BUt thats just my opinion :nice: Either way...good luck

I agree, I plan on buying all used stuff(prob. GT40 things) and have figured it to come out to around $1000-1200 add that on with the supercharger I got :hail2:

Thanks for everyone's response. I've got a better idea of what direction to go. Seems my rearend is making excessive noise these days, a gear swap would be a wise investment, as well as Tmoss's suggestion for the GT40 stuff. I was feeling a little behind the times if you will. :cheers: