Another one bites the dust..

May 20, 2005
Arkansas
Weeelllll.. No real way to say this other than... I spun a bearing this morning :(

I was driving to school early this morning, driving normal.. As I was pulling into the parking lot to park I downshifted.. Then I heard a small tapping sound, exactly like an exhaust leak. When I shut my car off I heard a CLUNK sound :eek:... After class, I came back out hoping that it was just a weird clutch noise or something.. But when I started it up I heard the dreaded KNOCK :eek: :eek: :( :nonono:... It was the worst sound i've ever heard in my life. I wanted to barf, cry and get mad all at the same time. I didn't know what to do!

Sooo... After getting various mechanics to come listen to it, it turns out that my rods didn't break or anything but a bearing got spun. I am just replacing the whole motor with another bone-stock motor. I'm going to keep the messed up motor, tear it apart and get it built up (assuming the block is ok).

So yeah..... this really sucks :(

One good thing is that I can justify my reasons for saying Helty is my best friend!!! He is helping me out so much, I can't thank him enough!! He's the best on earth!! :hail2: :hail2: :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

BennyBlown2v said:
Dude, pull the motor and replace the bearing no biggy. Don't spean thousands for a repair that shouldn't cost more than a few hundred....and if you wanna replace a bone stock motor in there make it DOHC ;)

Well.. my plans are to put a stock motor in there and keep this old motor. I'll eventually have it bored out and built, have the heads ported and all that.. then use the other motor as a spare.

I don't wanna mess with a DOHC.. 2V is a straight, cheap swap.. And I don't want to mess with tearing the motor apart either.

The labor will only be $600 for the entire motor swap, so i'm on a quest for a cheap Romeo PI motor now

BennyBlown2v said:

Now you see where i'm coming from! :D

I've got enough money to pay for the labor out of my pocket, so that doesn't bother me.. it was just my "mod money stash" anyways. But as for the motor, it looks like i'm going to have to have the parents help me out and i'll pay them back on it.

After that, i'll be sending my motor somewhere and having it turned into a big bore mod motor... that way, if that thing blows up i'll still have the other one as a spare since it's only a temporary fix and I won't be racing it. It will be kinda weird going from a cammed, fully-bolt-on motor to a stock motor :eek:

I had 73,000 miles on the motor.

It's had Motorcraft 5W-20 put thru it everytime (except for once at 40,000 I put Royal Purple)... Motorcraft filter, just like it came from the factory.

I don't get on the car until it's warmed up.. That morning I hadn't gotten on it once, I just drove normal.. And that's what really bothers me :(

Yeah that sucks, sounds like you did everything right as far as preventative maintenance. I guess its just one of those things where $hit happens. I am very sorry to hear about your bad luck!

JayC said:
Have you checked your oil level? This just does not "happen" with these motors. Most have has oiling issues, detonation, or PTV problems.:nono: Sorry about your motor, good luck with the next one:D

I check my oil regularly. The level was fine and the color was normal. I spoke with the Ford dealership and they said it wasn't an uncommon issue. I was not beating on my car this morning and I didn't drive it last night. There was no detonation and no ptv issues either.. So i'm just at a loss right now :(

Hopefully the next one will hold up a little better :)

Thats too bad man... if you went out in a blaze of glory, shifting at 8000rpm then I would say "well hey at least it was a rush." but damn, driving at part throttle and spinning a bearing is like finding out your gf is really a transexual.. just a big boot to the nuts

Good luck on resolving the issue. Word of advice though, the stock iron block is not the best platform for a big bore setup... you would need to wet sleeve the block, and the sleeves alone are $1000+. Keep your eye out for a teksid block, that would be the best route

DCjuggalo said:
how many miles was on the engine?
jasonh_86 said:
I had 73,000 miles on the motor.

It's had Motorcraft 5W-20 put thru it everytime (except for once at 40,000 I put Royal Purple)... Motorcraft filter, just like it came from the factory.

I don't get on the car until it's warmed up.. That morning I hadn't gotten on it once, I just drove normal.. And that's what really bothers me :(

I'm sorry to hear j dog :(.

I'm not quite sure what your plan is. you're gonna keep the messed up motor and leave it on the side. then you're gonna get another romeo motor to put in your car. then you're going with a bb/stroker kit on the messed up motor?

correct me if I'm wrong, but you'll need an aluminium block to go bb.

sell me your heads with the cams and v. springs :).

Stang|ess said:
I'm sorry to hear j dog :(.

correct me if I'm wrong, but you'll need an aluminium block to go bb.

sell me your heads with the cams and v. springs :).

He can go BB with the iron block but it is MUCH more expensive, and not just any shop cn do the sleeving process on the iron blocks. It would be cheaper and lighter to find an AL block to work with.