Another stupid question....

mytight95

Apr 11, 2003
Dothan,Al
Ok i have a question about torque specs now....... I know what # ft etc..... I am trying to remember the general rule on torqueing(sp?) stuff down when using and extension or deep well socket....

I think it is add 5lb ft per extension, and 5 for a deep well......my memory is going bad in my old age..:D :rlaugh:

jason

• Sponsors (?)

mytight95 said:
Ok i have a question about torque specs now....... I know what # ft etc..... I am trying to remember the general rule on torqueing(sp?) stuff down when using and extension or deep well socket....

I think it is add 5lb ft per extension, and 5 for a deep well......my memory is going bad in my old age..:D :rlaugh:

jason

lol.....I have heard that, but if an extension is short, or even a deep socket, I don't even see a reason to consider it there (maybe a couple ft-lb loss there). But if you have 2 ft of extension, I would definately factor it in.

This will be an interesting debate. I hope to hear others opinions about this.
Scott

lmao..... well when all else fails guys read the instructions that came with the torque wrench....(craftsman) in this case they gave a similar equation......maybe the same one overall.....

but thanks for the replies anyhow...Heads are already on the car now.... so if the torque was wrong... it is too late....lol

jason

I think it great to have that equation, but I've alway just gone by the 1 ft# per additional extension rule. An old neighbor I had taught that to me and he was an old Navy seadog who had plenty of expirience with torque wrenches. Its not failed yet. Also, it may help that I usually shoot for the middle of the torque range that is given, that way I have room for error.