Another trip to Autozone

SVT32VDOHC

waiting for the next hack atta
Founding Member
Nov 22, 2001
Motor City
Okay alright, I know I said I'll never go to Autozone again.....but when it is 9:00pm on Friday night and you need door pins for your project car and you need them now that is where I went.

So I go in and since it was 10 minutes to close they are buffing the floor and the guy says I can't go back to where the door pins are, but he will look them up and get them for me....:rolleyes: He comes back with 1. I told him I need 4. He says there are no others. I ask..Can I look? Ok I guess it's alright. I find the other three. No these aren't for a Mustang they are a Ford pickup. I'm like its fine, they are only two thousandths bigger, you have to pound them in anyways. He insists no, and I insist yes, so I buy them.

I just installed them and I might say that they work PERFECTLY FINE AND I HAVE NICE AND TIGHT DOOR HINGES FOR "Project 81 Hack Job"!!!!!!

But, the guy at Autozone said "They won't work"!!!!:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

• Sponsors (?)

thats the prob with most auto parts stores, if the computer doesn't have an exact match they are clueless as to what will work or can be made to work. I wanted a short belt to bypass the smog pump an told her what year car i had an what length belt i wanted an she thought i was crazy.

Every Autozone worker I ever met it a freaking tard :nonono:
I had to show the manager how to work thier alt testing machine when I had my Fox :notnice:

So what's planned for the car this weekend?

Door pins are in.

Primed the door this morning and my Dad his hear blocking them down now. He can really get those things flat.

I hit the clock at 2 again so I'll be back there soon taping up stuff so I can cut in the door jams, inner doors, trunk jams, trunk, fenders, and hood. If I get time tomorrow....I will hang the doors, trunk and hood, then get it ready for paint next weekend!!!!:D :D :D But I might not, because I have to pickup my girl tonight from the airport, so she will prolly have something planned tomorrow...or expect me to have something planned!!!

The Autozone guy will have the last laugh when you're driving down the street and your doors fly off :rlaugh:

Nothing is worse than when you know you want an "off-the-record" part and know EXACTLY what it is and what the part number is or may be, and they still have to give you a hard time.

The Autozone guy will have the last laugh when you're driving down the street and your doors fly off :rlaugh:

Nothing is worse than when you know you want an "off-the-record" part and know EXACTLY what it is and what the part number is or may be, and they still have to give you a hard time.

HAHA!! Yeah, I should take it up there when it's done....:rolleyes: Yeah right by the time I am done with this car, he will probably be a Grandpa with 8 grand children!!!:D The pins were actually oversized .002 so if anything it is better because the hinges the bushings go into might be worn that much....

:flag:

hey now! i work at autozone, not ALL autozone workers are dumb. just the majority of them! :rlaugh: lol off the Zone record, aside from brand name items we carry, i will NOT put an autozone part on my stang.

There is one guy at the local Zone that is great, but he is rarely there.

I mostly buy cleaning supplies from Autozone/Murrays and stuff is getting expensive....7.99+ for tire shine????

However, I have used their Duralast water pumps on all of my 5.0L's, and both my 2001 GT 2V engine and I have one I need to install on my 96 Cobra. They have been great. Kept the engine cool and they are only 26+tax for 5.0L's and about 45-50 for the 4.6L's.

AS A FORMER AUTOZONE EMPLOYEE

it really depends on who you get. do you really think the people that actually know something are going to be working on a friday night? hell no. get to know the people at your local parts store, when you find a good employee, make sure to call their store manager, or district manager, and let them know. there was one night, i had to look up my own part number, and get it off the shelf in the back because the kid couldnt find it in the computer, and when i found him the part number, he couldnt find it on the shelf, i found both. it was a diff cover gasket for my fox! hell im 20. when i worked there i had some very loyal customers that would wait for me in particular.

to get better service, try to go during the day or at lunch, chances are the more professional people will be working. if possible deal with the commercial sales men when possible. anymore i spend more of money at napa and carquest then i do at autozone/advanced/o'reilly's. ide rather pay alittle extra for thier higher paid, higher quality employees. i didnt make but 8.15 at autozone with an associates in automotive service.

Since we're on the topic of Autozone, I think you guys would appreciate this story. It's Saturday, and my buddy is fabricating a new exhaust for his beater pickup truck. We get in the 'Zone sometime in the early evening, and he asks the 30 something year old nimrod at the register what they have in the way of a 2.5" center inlet, center outlet mufflers.......... Here's where the rest of the conversation went:

Clerk: What are these muffler for?
Friend: My pick'em-up truck
Clerk: What year and make?
Friend: What does it matter, I'm fabricating the exhaust myself, I don't need factory mufflers
Clerk: I need the year and make of the pickup if you want me to get them for you
Friend: I NEED 2.5" CENTER INLET/CENTER OUTLET TURBO MUFFLERS W T F DOES IT MATTER WHAT YEAR THE TRUCK IS?
Clerk: It matters to me
Friend: FINE!!!! I need them for a 1966 Chrysler Batmobile ****head

At this point the guy behind the counter gives us a stupid look, and we walk out. I just don't understand how people that are really that incompetent can be employed at a business where price, but most importantly SERVICE determines whehter or not people will continue to shop there.:shrug:

so far i have steered clear of any ridiculous events at autozone. though i do try to get in and out as fast as possible. ive considered working there before, but now i think a better bet is napa or carquest.

The Carquest by me has excellent sales reps. They have to pass many written tests involving everything on a car from front to back, top to bottom. And believe me, I have listened to them, and they all know their stuff. My Carquest also sells automotive paint, and that is where I buy it from. They are ALL extremely experienced with paint products. They show me stuff that they have actuall used, not just trying to sell. They haven't steered me wrong yet.

Since we're on the topic of Autozone, I think you guys would appreciate this story. It's Saturday, and my buddy is fabricating a new exhaust for his beater pickup truck. We get in the 'Zone sometime in the early evening, and he asks the 30 something year old nimrod at the register what they have in the way of a 2.5" center inlet, center outlet mufflers.......... Here's where the rest of the conversation went:

Clerk: What are these muffler for?
Friend: My pick'em-up truck
Clerk: What year and make?
Friend: What does it matter, I'm fabricating the exhaust myself, I don't need factory mufflers
Clerk: I need the year and make of the pickup if you want me to get them for you
Friend: I NEED 2.5" CENTER INLET/CENTER OUTLET TURBO MUFFLERS W T F DOES IT MATTER WHAT YEAR THE TRUCK IS?
Clerk: It matters to me
Friend: FINE!!!! I need them for a 1966 Chrysler Batmobile ****head

At this point the guy behind the counter gives us a stupid look, and we walk out. I just don't understand how people that are really that incompetent can be employed at a business where price, but most importantly SERVICE determines whehter or not people will continue to shop there.:shrug:

Not to be a dick but most of the **** there is simply replacement pieces. The computer isnt magical and give full on dimensions and pictures of a part. So for this kid to find something like that for you....hes gonna have to go to the back and start opening random boxes in hopes that he finds what you need.

Not to be a dick but most of the **** there is simply replacement pieces. The computer isnt magical and give full on dimensions and pictures of a part. So for this kid to find something like that for you....hes gonna have to go to the back and start opening random boxes in hopes that he finds what you need.

Most stuff is replacement type parts, but they do sell other aftermarket stuff. As mentioned in my previous post, the guy was at least 30, and if they didn't have a universal type turbo muffler, or it was too much hassle, he should have said as much. I think it was made pretty obvious what we were looking for. I was more or less alluding to a previous poster who encountered the same thing as we did.......if they can't look it up on the computer, they don't have it, or they aren't going to go through the trouble to find it for you.

Murrays has all their mufflers on the floor...so you can look at them yourself. I don't think Autozone has that.

They are putting up a HUUUGE Murrays about 2 blocks from the Autozone by me. I can't wait till it opens!!!