anti-theft override wire came lose - where does it go?

valkyrie

Jun 13, 2010
I'm pretty sure this is a bone-head question, but as an electrical novice, I need help with my 98 3.8L.

The brown wire that connects to the anti-theft override (valet?) switch under the dash must have caught on my shoe and was pulled loose. The end connected to the black switch is fine, but where does the other end go? It's not a huge problem, as I just have to use the remote to unlock the car again if I wait more than 30s (or whatever it is) before starting, but I can't just press the black switch (while turning the key) anymore.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I have the stock anti-theft system. The picture shows the switch under the dash (the part connected). The second shows how long this wire is, so I'm wondering if it snakes up to something by the steering column (??).

Any thoughts? Thanks.

switchy.jpg

wire2.jpg

That does NOT look like the stock anti-theft system. In fact, you can see part of the add on unit in the picture. What markings are on the black box with the LED?

If I were to guess, the brown wire goes to the black box. It might help to get picture more up under the dash. Or loosen the black box and pull it down to get better pictures (yes I know it is a PIA working under the dash).

Good suggestion. I guess I had assumed that I received the car new that it was the stock system, but the dealer might have added it after the car arrived. I'll try to get more info and post. Thanks for the suggestions.

Does it have a Ford key fob that looks like this:

http://www.BrandX.com/files/fordcode.jpg

Or does it have one like this:

http://www.BrandX.com/files/fordfob.jpg

The top one is the Code Alarm fob, the bottom one is the factory keyless entry fob.

It's the bottom one. Does that mean it's the factory alarm? I haven't been able to crawl under the dash, as I hurt my back this week, but hope to get in there this weekend. There is a little black box with a led that lights up when I move it, so maybe that's where the wire goes (however the wire seems WAY too long for that to be the case, as it's right near the switch).