Any easy way to tell if my car is cammed?

StarFox07

Jun 10, 2005
Texas
When I bought my lx about a week ago, the owner said it had a "high rpm" cam, but I really have my doubts as to the validity of this. Is there a way to tell besides opening up the engine to see? If I posted a video of the exhaust note on idle, would you guys be able to tell me? I dont want to buy a cam and discover it already has one. I wont be able to get track times for a few weeks, so I can go on that, and it has other mods (p/p heads, 3.73's) that might throw that off anyways.

Roland69 said:
my stock cam works fine...but the lope at idle sound's like "don't ***** with me you little rice rocket
Stock cam with lope?

You should be able to tell by the way it idles. Usually any aftermarket cam is noticeable over the stock cam.

Roland69 said:
lol not mine I ment an aftermarket would sound like that but my stock one works fine (for now)
I can't wait to get rid of the stock cam. Gonna do a MAF swap first though. Not much beats the sound of a cammed 5.0 though...plus the stock cam sucks above 4500 RPMs.

Sorry I have to laugh..every time I hear someone trying to sell a stock fox the car always MAGICALLY aquires a set of 'ported and polished heads and a cam (often name not provided)'.....my bet is your best off saving for a nice set of cylinder heads and not worry about installing a cam that won't help ya worth a damn with your E7's in place. A set of good heads will net you EXCELLENT power and are fairly easy to install...a cam install is a pain in the ass in my opinion and with stock heads not going to give you any more than a little ego boost in the audible department and 10hp on the dyno...your choice.