Any issues with buying a used H pipe?

like the title says, I found a guy close to home selling a 94-95 off road H pipe. The ad said 100 bucks so I sent him an email and offered 70 (which he said he will take). He says the pipe came with the car when he got it and is in good condition. He is unsure what brand it is, but Im going to ask him to take a closer look for me before I come out. Is there any concerns with buying a used off road pipe? Is $70 a fair price?

• Sponsors (?)

just watch out if its catted... one of my cats leaked on one used one i bought. another i bought second hand i was told was unused... bbk i paid $120 and it sounds awesome... with the cats its louder then when i had them punched out.

I just picked up a used magnaflow catted x-pipe for $170. Havent put it on yet but hopefully nothing is wrong with it. Guy said it was only on for ~2000 miles and he decided to go with an offroad pipe.

My prochamber will be going up for sale soon!

I figure since its an off road pipe theres not much to go wrong... I would be a bit more skeptical about a catted pipe because its hard to determine the condition of the cats.. but for catless pipes Id assume just to check for rust or dents. I cant wait to pick it up :nice:

do you think i should try for lower than 70$ or would that be pushing it?

I figure since its an off road pipe theres not much to go wrong... I would be a bit more skeptical about a catted pipe because its hard to determine the condition of the cats.. but for catless pipes Id assume just to check for rust or dents. I cant wait to pick it up :nice:

do you think i should try for lower than 70$ or would that be pushing it?

$70 is a deal... see if he will drop it off... haha... i sold my gutted catted h with a pinhole leak for $50...

Check the bell ends to make sure they are in good shape... other then that a pipe is a pipe.

I bought the off road X from a fellow stang netter (yellow1995cobra) for that much cash and it was in great shape. Good kid too, he doesn't post here anymore though.

Adam

hey guys, i ended up getting the pipe for 60$ and its in good shape. I just have a quick question, it has what looks like a pipe for the AIR system on it.. now the purpose of the AIR is for the cats.. I dont think its needed for a catless pipe. Heres a pic of the little pipe, whats it for?

Attachments

• Copy of P6020008.JPG
    Copy of P6020008.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 77
hey guys, i ended up getting the pipe for 60$ and its in good shape. I just have a quick question, it has what looks like a pipe for the AIR system on it.. now the purpose of the AIR is for the cats.. I dont think its needed for a catless pipe. Heres a pic of the little pipe, whats it for?

Smog pump line connects there.... just connect it... don't plug the line coming from the car. it causes stupid ****... and not conecting it makes your car sound like this....

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c236/blindfoldedhope/?action=view&current=HPIM1801.flv

Listen for the kazoooo

I eliminated my smog pump and welded a bolt into that little pipe after cutting it off close to the actual H-pipe. I then got a CEL until I had a chip burnt that included shutting off the smog related stuff. Weird part about it was that the CEL didnt come on until a few months after I took the smog pump off... If you still have your smog pump, then I definitely agree that you should just go ahead and hook it up.

I eliminated my smog pump and welded a bolt into that little pipe after cutting it off close to the actual H-pipe. I then got a CEL until I had a chip burnt that included shutting off the smog related stuff. Weird part about it was that the CEL didnt come on until a few months after I took the smog pump off... If you still have your smog pump, then I definitely agree that you should just go ahead and hook it up.

I welded the tube on my o/r X shut and removed all the smog equipment. Didn't throw any codes.

shouldnt throw codes, only EGR throws codes after being deleted. Im planning on deleting my smog pump and related equipment in the near future, but for now ill attach it to my o/r H.

Quick question guys, my manifolds and H pipe are factory... what are the chances of me uninstalling my factory H pipe CLEANLY without snapping anything off and causing a pain in the ass. My dads trying to convince me to just shell out the money for the install so that if a stud breaks its not up to us to deal with.. but if its not usually a problem then Id like to do it myself (i have access to a lift which helps)

shouldnt throw codes, only EGR throws codes after being deleted. Im planning on deleting my smog pump and related equipment in the near future, but for now ill attach it to my o/r H.

Quick question guys, my manifolds and H pipe are factory... what are the chances of me uninstalling my factory H pipe CLEANLY without snapping anything off and causing a pain in the ass. My dads trying to convince me to just shell out the money for the install so that if a stud breaks its not up to us to deal with.. but if its not usually a problem then Id like to do it myself (i have access to a lift which helps)

Slim chance... Mine was on so bad.... make sure you at least get some decent bolts to bolt the exhaust up to the h pipe if you didnt already. I hope you have airtools... ot at least a 1/2 drive... 3/8 wont cut it... buy a can of liquid wrench... and hope for the best. If i were you id just get your headers now... Ive been through all of this... ive had 3 different headers till i stopped all leaking problems etc.... BBK headers with a BBK H and flowamasters seemed to meet up so nicely.... Soak the header studs with liquid wrench for some hours b4 you start... thats your best bet... i snapped one stud... and pulled one out of the header... the first time around.:nonono:

Why pay for the install... with that money you can buy a decent set of used headers do it your self and get 2 mods for the price of one

Why pay for the install... with that money you can buy a decent set of used headers do it your self and get 2 mods for the price of one

my thoughts exactly.. I dont like paying for an install that I can do myself. Im paying for gears, and thats enough :rolleyes:

Anyways, the cheap H pipe is supposed to "tie me over" until I can afford long tubes with a catted shorty H. The flows came with the car, and a 60$ used H is a nice price for some extra kick and a nice sound. I have the sniffer test here so I have to swap the stocker in and out.. eventually I just want to invest in a catted H and be done with it, but for now that money can go towards my gears which will make a much bigger difference.

I have air tools, but Im worried that they will break things and screw me over :notnice: am I getting myself into a big can of worms with this install? anyone else have their experience to share?