Fox Any rare old school/OEM+ Fox Body parts? Do they exist?

• Sponsors (?)

Do the Motorsport speedos have a mechanism to match your odometer? People are awfully sensitive on any discussion about changing odometers so I am curious how you matched them up.

Do you just connect a drill to the speedo and spin forever?

The drill takes waaaaaaay too long. I have a spare 85MPH speedo that I put a drill on. Even at max speed, it takes a good 30-45 seconds for 1 mile to turn over. You'll be there all day. It might be good if you need to spin off 10 miles, but not 20,000.

You also cannot spin them backwards. Only forward. Theres a 1-way clutch on the odometer that prevents them from running back.

The motorsport speedos actually ship with instructions on how to match up the miles. I have found a picture of this doc, but unfortunately the quality was so bad I couldn't read it.

How I do it is to flip the speedo over and look at the odometer from the rear. There's a small rod with white gears on it that advance the miles. If you tap one side of the rod out, you can lift the rod and spin the odometer to where you need it. Then you can reset the white teeth. The white teeth have teeth of different sizes. One big, one small. The big tooth fits into a large slot on the odometer which moves the digit up one spot. It doesn't nececcarily make it difficult, but if you study how the teeth fit in, you'll see how they much sit once you are ready to replace the rod.

As for legality, my understanding is that it's only illegal if it's done with the intention of deception. If you are replacing the speedometer and, in good faith, are matching up the mileage, then it's not illegal. However, I haven't read the law nor am I a lawyer so don't go based on that. But in 2021, many of these cars have odometer discrepancies anyway, and in many states it doesn't matter.

Like I said previously, I thought about doing a how-to, but people get weird when you bring up rolling back an odometer, so i'm not going to go there.

However, If someone can find the Ford motorsport directions to correct the odometer, i'd love to read those

Last edited:
Found it. Unfortunately can’t make out what it says. The large print references "Instructons for resetting odometer on service speedometer"

2E3FEFF6-82DB-460F-8A53-595AEA445E78.jpeg
9CBC6586-9B39-4785-91D2-00A9C722BFD1.jpeg
EEBC8D0A-1889-46FE-95C6-8C939DC008DA.jpeg

Here’s detail of the odometer and the white teeth.

The 1 way clutch is located inside the big white gear. The numbered portion and the toothed part are two separate wheels. They can only spin forward together, but if you spin the speedo cable backwards, the geared part free-wheels against the numbered wheel. It simply won't work. You NEED to go forward.

C2174266-94C3-4C4B-8D07-AAABEF9F3EAB.jpeg
B672B11C-AD16-47DA-AB32-D22A7A6F3FC6.jpeg
634DDC7F-82C1-453C-948D-6AB441BBFAF3.jpeg

Last edited:
Like I said previously, I thought about doing a how-to, but people get weird when you bring up rolling back an odometer, so i'm not going to go there.
Yeah, I hear you. That was what I meant about people getting sensitive on odometer talk. A few years ago I titled my car as "Hobbyist" in WI and the title states "10+ years old odometer exempt". But like you, I would want to know that mine is accurate.

Why using a drill takes waaaaay too long. Sorry for the bad quality but did it quick.
This made me laugh. I wonder how many drill batteries you would go through with a rubber band around the trigger. Or worst miss the mark and have to go all the way around again.