Any reason NOT to paint calipers??

Nobody

Founding Member
May 9, 2000
Kenmore, WA
I just got a brand new pair of Cobra calipers and I am leaning toward painting them gloss black before I install them. They are currently a dark flat grey. They would look sweet painted but I don't want to mess up these brand new calipers unnecessarily.

If anyone is proud of theirs, please post up some pics.

Thanks,
Gabe

• Sponsors (?)

i am proud..... i dont know that i have a picture though.....
just make sure all the brake dust is off before you paint, and use some really high temp paint, you should be fine, mine have been painted for a year or more and look great still... i used high temp engine paint

best one i have right now........

771674_96_full.jpg

I painted my rears just do lots of light coats and it will look good, take your time and make sure you dont get paint on the inside of them. Best would be to get them powdercoated but that will cost quite a bit more.

DO NOT USE ENGINE PAINT!!! use caliper paint, TRUST ME! The brake fluid will straight up take the paint right off. I was painting my SHO's calipers and used red engine paint, they looked AWESOME! Even clear coated em! When I went to put em on..OH ****!!!! the brake fluid ate away at the paint right away!! I had to shoot em with almost a can of paint stripper a piece to get the rest of the paint off, I used VHT caliper paint on em and no probs after that. You have to get a paint that is chemical resistant. The engine paint was no match for the brake fluid. If you are going to do it, do it right the first time, don't make my mistake and waste money and three days messin with em. It takes the fun/look out of it.

-Nathan

n8rsk8r said:
DO NOT USE ENGINE PAINT!!! use caliper paint, TRUST ME! The brake fluid will straight up take the paint right off...
There shouldn't be any reason you're getting brake fluid on them, even while installing them. I've never had an issue with excess brake fluid getting anywhere, other than where I wanted it to go while installing, or bleeding calipers. I don't mean to piss on your cheerios here, but there's a correct method, and the sloppy/half assed method to doing things. It sounds to me like you took the messy route. I say paint them, they'll look great. :nice:

? Have any of you seen the stickers you can put on your calipers that are either writing or a pony picture etc. I remember someone asking about them and wondered if they stayed on. I myself use the Ceramic paint for calipers because of the extreme brake dust roadracing and using chemicals to clean the wheels. I would powder coat but you must take the calipers apart which just adds to the cost because of rebuild kits.

StangGT1995 said:
There shouldn't be any reason you're getting brake fluid on them, even while installing them. I've never had an issue with excess brake fluid getting anywhere, other than where I wanted it to go while installing, or bleeding calipers. I don't mean to piss on your cheerios here, but there's a correct method, and the sloppy/half assed method to doing things. It sounds to me like you took the messy route. I say paint them, they'll look great. :nice:

that is okay man, just trying to save him trouble, say, why would they make a specific paint for calipers then>? I never claimed to be perfect, but half ass definately not!:rolleyes: