Any reasons to keep 5.0 after 4.6l buy?

Owned both as daily drivers. The new cars are nice when everything works...

The 99+ aftermarket prices are dropping and rather quickly...

The prices are closer to 33% more than a 5.0L's price.

You can slap a 8-9psi supercharger on a 99+ and get 370rwhp. Do that to a 5.0L and you'll need a GOOD 347. That is close to 3,000 for the bottomend with good stuff and then you have to factor in a nice set of heads (over a 1000 bucks by itself), intake, injectors, cam, lifters, timing chain, full exhaust, etc...etc...it adds up.

You start out with more with a Piheaded 4.6L...

It's up to you...

• Sponsors (?)

Man I'm in the same boat!!

I'm graduating in May, so I'll FINALLY have some $$$ to spend on my car. The more I think about it, the more I debate if I should sell my car and go with something newer or not. Plus my aunt called me and told me that she is selling her 65, and I have first dibs! (only have seen it through a garage window, while the car has been covered, have no idea on the condition)

My car is in pretty decent shape, has about 95,000 miles on it, was an AOD for most of it's life until I did the swap a 1.5yrs ago. I've had the car for almost 7 years now, it's been my dream to fix it up and make it something spectaculer, but it's all the "small" things that have been adding up that make me want to get something newer. My hatch has signs of rust, there are dents, and scratches. The carpet needs to be replaced, doors are sagging, door lock actuators have crapped out, center armrest padded cover has come off, AC is toast, weather stripping needs to be replaced.....the list goes on.

So knowing all the "little" things that need to get fixed on top of the "big" thinkgs I'd like to do to it.....just make the decision process harder.

Ugh!!

you throw a power adder on a 2v and its a ticking time bomb from what ive seen like a 5.0 bottom end. they seem to be good for about 400 hp, after that most people end up going to new shortblocks, or getting forced into it. thats what i got, from the limited research i did.

coming from a modified 331 stroker to the 4.6 pi 2v was a disappointment. obviously the 331 had more power, i just missed it. for a daily driver though it is a nice car all around. power included. add a blower, and its a solid 12 second daily driver.

let me tell you though, driving a 400+ rwhp mod car is a BLAST. my cobra is very similar to what a kb 2v would be on the street i think. it is awesome to be rolling completely quiet, then romp on it and hear nothing but screaming blower and exhaust. also with the modernized features, nice stock system (mach 460), nice seats, quiet ride, dont hear a bunch of noise over every bump, ect.

that is definately one thing i got sick of in my fox, was the noise and negative attention all the time. at this point, i wouldnt mind a fox as a weekend/track car only, but for my commonly driven car, sn95 all the way.

281pony said:
you throw a power adder on a 2v and its a ticking time bomb from what ive seen like a 5.0 bottom end. they seem to be good for about 400 hp, after that most people end up going to new shortblocks, or getting forced into it. thats what i got, from the limited research i did.

coming from a modified 331 stroker to the 4.6 pi 2v was a disappointment. obviously the 331 had more power, i just missed it. for a daily driver though it is a nice car all around. power included. add a blower, and its a solid 12 second daily driver.

let me tell you though, driving a 400+ rwhp mod car is a BLAST. my cobra is very similar to what a kb 2v would be on the street i think. it is awesome to be rolling completely quiet, then romp on it and hear nothing but screaming blower and exhaust. also with the modernized features, nice stock system (mach 460), nice seats, quiet ride, dont hear a bunch of noise over every bump, ect.

that is definately one thing i got sick of in my fox, was the noise and negative attention all the time. at this point, i wouldnt mind a fox as a weekend/track car only, but for my commonly driven car, sn95 all the way.

Yeah the Powdered Metal Cracked Rods are on borrowed time!

Keep both - I have a 92 and 03. It is nice to be able to walk outside and be like "I'll drive this one today" But I'd say keep both because the fox is easy and cheap to mod. And when you are working on the fox you dont have to drive it cause you have the other one. Cause it is a pain to try and drive a half finished ride. Thats just my 2 cents.

Man, we are all in the same boat. Of course the 5.0 is going to have stuff go wrong, lock actuators (mine are broke, fixed them, and broke again), car leaking (freakin sunroof), have rust (still from when I bought the damn thing 9 years ago and said that would be the first thing I would fix and still havent), etc etc etc. I tell you what, I needed a daily driver so I could start rebuilding my 5.0 that has 188,000 on it. I got a 94 GT that my fiancee says "looks like a real Mustang", but its not NEARLY as much fun as the fox. Now, the GT is almost bone stock, but the thing is a freakin slug. Now, I got a good deal on it (bought it last year with 80k on it for 3800) so I cant complain, and it has AC (of course my Fox does not now). I thought about selling both to try and get an 03 cobra and then I slapped myself for thinking of such a thing. I took the 5.0 out the next night, as struggling as it is right now and in dire need of a rebuild, and when turning on a street, I just thought about hitting the gas and got all kinds of sideways. Man, I couldnt get the grin off of my face. I made up my mind for good, which I had said all along, that I will NEVER get rid of that car. So, sell the Fox if you want, but think about how much money you are going to get for it. Then, think about 20 years from now when you tell someone you once HAD a fox and how much you sold it for. As their jaw drops, you will then ask yourself why you ever sold that car. :bang: Whew, there, I said it. Is anyone else crying right now???

heres what I've all ways said the fox body mustang is going to become the next 65 mustang,parts are geting hard to find or are no longer being made and a fox is becoming hard to find for a good price and in good condition so what I say is keep it you have a american icon.dont get me wrong I would give any thing to have a 03-04 svt cobra but theres something about the fox I cant let go.

I don't have a "new" stang yet, but I do have a "new" vette. One thing I can guarantee you is.....

My wife is in the shower and I am just wasting time til we roll out for breakfast. And when we roll out, it will be in a fox. I'm sitting here trying to decide if it will be the 4 eyed freak or my 91 GT with 175k miles.

decisions, decisions :D :nice: :D :nice: :D :nice:
Cliff :)

AdamFogle said:
I made up my mind for good, which I had said all along, that I will NEVER get rid of that car. So, sell the Fox if you want, but think about how much money you are going to get for it. Then, think about 20 years from now when you tell someone you once HAD a fox and how much you sold it for. As their jaw drops, you will then ask yourself why you ever sold that car. :bang: Whew, there, I said it. Is anyone else crying right now???
I like where your head is at :nice: People dont understand why I keep the fox, they are like why not get rid of that pos. No, no..its staying!

WLDHRSE said:
I'm sitting here trying to decide if it will be the 4 eyed freak or my 91 GT with 175k miles.

decisions, decisions :D :nice: :D :nice: :D :nice:
Cliff :)

I hear ya there, I often have to decide on which head-turner to drive...the four-eyed '85 or my modded classic....course if fuel gets much higher it'll be the Focus for a while :D