Anybody else running an Accel Billetproof distributor?

I have an Accel Billetproof distributor in my '72 Stang with a 460 swapped into it. The other day the car mysteriously quit running while I was driving at about 25 mph. It didn't really "sputter," it just quit. At the time, it had been running for about 90 minutes, so it was very well warmed up.

I checked the "easy stuff" and made sure there was gas in the carb and the engine obviously cranked. Since I was by myself, I couldn't figure out a way to check for spark so I walked where I was going (which was thankfully close).

After about an hour, I returned with a friend to check it out, and the silly thing fired right up.

This reminds me a lot of a problem I had with an old Pontiac with an HEI ignition. On that car the problem turned out to be a failing ignition module which would periodically just quit, and eventually quit completely.

Have any of you had a similar problem with an Accel electronic distributor?

Thanks.

Wayne.

• Sponsors (?)

funny you should mention that.......i've had the accel billet proof in my 302 for about two years now, but when it was first put on i was driving through a parking structure and it randomly starting misfiring and then finally popped and stalled......i was stressing out cause everything looked good. I finally opened up the distributor cap and found the green magnetic pickup and been barely pushed onto the module and was dangling around, while the red wire from the module to the coil was also about to come off. I pushed back down firmly and it worked fine.....or at least until recently...long story short, i have to get rid of it and bought a msd pro billet. just my 2 cents.

You are right about it being like an HEI, it will either be the module in the distributor or the coil that is heating up and failing. Try using a heat gun or hairdryer and warming one of them up to see if it will fail. I have one but not enough run time to tell you if it is a good buy or not.