Anybody ever take a door off?

w.neurauter

Apr 25, 2005
So I was involved in a one car fender bender the other day with a concrete pole. I bent the passenger door in and it needs to be replaced. Hhas anyone ever had a door off, or replaced on? I was hoping to save some cash by installing it myslelf and having it painted after the fact.

Anyone know of any mustang junkyards? Thanks for the help, really hoping to save some cash here.
Bill

• Sponsors (?)

yeah I've taken my brothers door off in his monte carlo.. I forget why - but it was really tedius getting it back on properly - just because it's really hard to hold a 100 pound door (monte carlo doors are massive?) in 1 spot while your brother laughs at you while you threaten to drop his precious door on the ground unless he hurries the **** up!

nah it's pretty simply, just be careful when you close the door and make sure it lines up perfect - otherwise it'll just bend the mounts and end up screwing more things up. its simply to take off and what not - only bitch will be the wires going from the car to the door - you'll have to rerun them

Cool, thanks for the replies. Anyone else do it on a mustang? Do any local automotive stores have the haynes manual for our cars?

So you guys think I can do this alright by myself if I can find a old door? I have moderate mechanical ability.

thanks again for the help

Yeah, you can get a haynes or chilton manual from any auto parts store (auto zone, advance, oreillys, etc..). If you are planning to take the door off/put new one on, I would highly recommend having someone there to help you hold it in place because you have to remember that the window and what not is in the door, which makes it pretty heavy (I imagine).

agreed, I will have assistance. I figure I'b put it in and line it up without the internals and add those after I get everything lined up? I'm hoping someone will chime in that's done this recently.

Anything on some good salvage yards to check?

I did mine in May, and if you're smart you'll get a door that has the same set up as yours (power locks, power windows, crank windows, etc.) so you don't have to mess with the internals. They can be a bit of a bear unless you're familiar with how they work. Especially the scissor mechanism, which is preloaded and if removed incorrectly could take your fingers off! :jaw: or break the window :eek: . I suggest a Haynes manual, as the Chilton's aren't nearly as detailed or helpful.
My tip of the day is to leave all nuts and bolts LOOSE as you get everything lined up, work on one seam/direction at a time and snug them as you go. Also, make sure ahead of time that all of the adjusters are nice and WD-40'd up so they move to their full range of motion.
Also, where do you live, so I can try to help you find a junkyard.
I'll try to help you with any other questions you have, so fire away.