Anybody ever?

Therian

The Highlander
Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Waterloo, Ontario
Designed and printed their own 2 1/16 gauge faces? Is it easy to open up aftermarket gauges? It seems as though autometer charges much more than is necessary for many of their gauges...especially nitrous pressure

I could design them pretty easily...(adobe illustrator ftw :D) and it's not like cutting them would be a problem. More an issue of opening up the gauges and removing the needles...anyone every ventured into this territory?

anybody want some custom gauge faces? :D

• Sponsors (?)

I opened up one of my old AutoMeter boost gauges once to adjust the needle (it somehow got off by 5 psi. :eek: ). Anyway, I can't remember exactly what I did because it was so long ago. I think I took one of those thin eye glasses screwdrivers and pryed up around the bezel (metal ring) of the gauge until it came off. Then you can remove the glass. You'll have to be VERY careful because you can bend the metal ring and it's possible that you won't be able to get it back into it's original shape & have it look right.

How could you get them to light up at night if you printed them yourself? How would you get them to stick to the stock gauges, would you glue them?

Synned said:
How could you get them to light up at night if you printed them yourself? How would you get them to stick to the stock gauges, would you glue them?

I can set my epson to use specific ink rates for whites and blacks, so that it would allow light to penetrate whatever part of the gauge face I would desire...I wouldn't imagine it would be hard to do with a normal printer either (light obviously passes through white easier than black). That and using the correct paper stock.

You would need to take off the stock gauge face in lieu of the new one, otherwise it would be bloody hard to read at night. Not sure how difficult this would be, depends how they affixed them. I can't imagine it being that difficult to get the old face off, but it depends.

Hissin, as always, I appreciate your help. I wonder if summit makes their own gauges? I know FRPP gauges are made by autometer and I wouldn't want to have to deal with using "special parts".

Does anybody have experience with both summit gauges and autometer?