Anybody have a good stereo system?

ttopstang

Sep 6, 2007
Birmingham, AL
I always said I would never spend too much money on my mustangs audio, but after riding in some newer mustangs and hearing a mach 460 system, I think it would be kind of nice to have a decent system.

I have new 3 1/2 speakers up front, new door speakers, and new rear speakers, but I was thinking about putting a small amp and maybe a 10" sub in the spare tire area. I don't want it to be seen, and just want a little better sound.

Has anybody put a sub in the spare tire area? If so, do you like it, or have any suggestions on placement of sub/amp? Pics would be great too.

• Sponsors (?)

I just listen to my exhaust.

Very valid point.

Unless you have a quiet exhaust system, the quality audio will get drowned out by the rumble of the exhaust system. That means you can only drive the car and hear the music at levels which will either cause pain or permanent hearing loss. :eek:

i made a custom rack for my amps in a coupe. turned them vertically and mounted in the front most part of the trunk. then i put my sub into the spare tire well with the box.

i cut the carpet/spare tire cover around the box so the floor is still flat and usable. i have 2 amps, sub, and battery in my trunk with lots of room. it functions and looks great imo.

i listen to my supercharger and my exhaust, but theres nothing wrong with 1100 rms watts either. all about a more complete car imo. :shrug:

Thanks 281pony. I also have my battery in the back, and I will probably mount the amp with the sub in the spare tire area if theres enough room. I'm just looking for a little bump, like 200 watt amp and a 10 or 12'', nothing fancy.

I also love hearing my exhaust, been loving it for the past 4 years, I don't have heat or ac, so I figure the least I could do was put a decent stereo in it.

i'm the same way as you man. don't really care to have a "bumpin" sound system in my car, but I still want a *full* sound. Right now I have a Pioneer headunit, some old Sony Xplod 6x9's, and the factory dash/door speakers. I'm running a small Kicker Comp 10" subwoofer with a 250 watt Sony amp for the low's. Using 8g wiring for power and ground. It's nothing overwhelming but gives a much better sound that what I had.

As a side note, I have been planning on upgrading some of the components a bit more, and i've acquired some "new" speakers and wiring out of some of the trucks at the salvage yard I work at. I have a set of Kicker 6x8's (actual size needed for fox's), some Rockford Fosgate Punch 6 1/2 door speakers, a bunch of 4g wiring, and I bought an Alpine Type-R 12" woofer from my cousin's husband. Just need to build a box and get a bigger amp for it.

Well, i used to have my Alpine 65x4 running to an Earthquake 500w amp and a 2x12" kicker setup with full component speakers, but after debating a while, I decided to toss the 12"s and just let the 125w Pioneer 6'x9"s and 4" 100w door speakers do the talking instead, since they cranked up comparably loud and had a better dynamic sound. Still, I'm thinking about perhaps adding a small bass cannon to lend some more oomph and replacing the dash speakers with some beefy tweeters (since the stock and replacement dash speakers ate s**t incredibly fast).

I think the nicest thing is that with the stock speaker mounts and a good deck, you can really produce a great sounding system for relatively cheap. I pulled the Pioneers I have in the rear out of a 89 Camaro in the salvy for a whopping 20 bucks 5 years ago.

I had infinity 3.5" up front, 6" door and 6x8 pioneer, with a pioneer deck, phoenix gold mono amp and a kicker comp 10" sub..

sounded perfect... not crazy loud, but extremely clear and full.

That's exactly what I had in mind. Is your box and amp out in the open, or in the spare tire area?

Today I'm going to pick up a pioneer 10" sub with a 200 watt amp from a guy off craigslist, now I just need to pick out a head unit.

i have one 12" pioneer and a 600watt kenwood amp. i built the box to fit in the tire hole.and built up around it so the floor around it is level. cut the carpet and now looks like a stock trunk just a lil shallower

Swapped in the mach460 in my 93. Since I swapped the dash, i lost the front tweeter location. So i moved the tweeters from my 6.5 diamond audio component set to the a-pillar. So I have the Mach 460 head unit (6-disc), the rear shelf speakers/amp rack and a decent component set in the front. Sounds great! I just recently aquired the nessessary components to upgrade the stereo to Mach1000 specs, namely the 4 addtional amps and Mach 10" subs. I just need to build an enclosure for my coupe for the subs...... sound rock.

Mine's good for me, but far from good I'm sure if you're asking an all-out audiophile.

JBL 3.5"s in the dash (wanted Infinitis to match the rest, but that was all I could find)
Infiniti Reference 6.5"s in the doors (you can aim the tweeters on these, which helps fine tune things)
Infiniti Reference 6x9"s in the rear
some sort of Kenwood amp (it's been a while)

and a 12" Rockford Fosgate sub in the trunk. An 8" would probably be perfect but the enclosure is as much for show as it is for performance, so a small sub wouldn't cut it. I just tone down the levels on it and it works out nicely. Plus since it's a convertible, when the top is down I can raise the levels up again and easily make up for the lack of an enclosed vehicle.