Anybody know how to get rid of the seatbelt safety chime???

• Sponsors (?)

Ummm yeah

Well given I tried it at 7 am after working all night but seriously WTF!! It took me all of 30sec on the first try to disable it on my old car (scion) but after an hour of banging my head on the dash i was STILL unsuccessful. I'd like to think of myself as fairly mechanically inclined and had no trouble in other mods I've done to my stang. But this one SUCKS after about the 5th attempt I wasn't even getting the ding letting me know I was on the right track. It seemed as if I engaged some type of lock out. I was pretty tired and said f it I'll just use the temp disable. So I've been buckling then unbuckling every time I get in the car for about 2 months now but that isn't even working anymore so I just crank up the Shaker and ignore it.:nonono:

Please if someone could just give a very definative description of how they did it, it would be VERY appreciated.

there is a switch inside your buckle for your seatbelt mechanism. when the seatbelt is not buckled in, the switch stays open, and the computer knows you are not buckled in by not completing a circuit.

there are two wires coming out of the buckle. I would measure the resistance of those two wires with the seatbelt unbuckled and buckled. you will have to shave off a small amount of insulation to get to these wires.

measure with a voltmeter the resistance of these two wires. if the resistance goes to nothing all you have to do is place a jumper across the two wires (or just wire them together) and the system will think you are buckled in all the time!

if there is some finite resistance record what it is and buy a resistor at radio shack equal to that resistance and wire it in. there should be no high tech secrets to fool the system.

i agree the seatbelt reminder is an annoyance but it does get people to buckle up so they don't go flying out the front window!

dude this is america if i dont want to wear my seat belt i should not have to hear a buzzer, you cant smoke they tell eveybody what to do,how to do it, when to do it, i got a wife for that , at least i get something from her.

geneos5546 said:
dude this is america if i dont want to wear my seat belt i should not have to hear a buzzer, you cant smoke they tell eveybody what to do,how to do it, when to do it, i got a wife for that , at least i get something from her.
You are 100% right it is America. America is the only place in the civilized world where seatbelt use isn't mandated. I also notice far more newspaper reports of people being ejected from vehicles in accidents than in any other country I visit.
If you would read your owners manual you would see that there is a procedure to bypass this using an ignition key sequence.

Trying to disable this by using the seat belt buckle wiring is stupid, dangerous and most likely illegal. These cars have dual stage airbags and the force of the airbag deployment is determined by several factors including seat position, force of impact, and seatbelt use. Bypassing the latch mechanism would enable the airbag to deploy at full force thinking the occupant is belted in the event of an accident.

Seat belts save lives. It's pretty much that simple - if you don't wear it you are more likely to be seriously injured in a crash.

Here are some fact (total unrelated to disabling the chime but worth noting)

You are 25 times more likely to be killed in a ejection from a car

What happens in a car fire if you are knocked out from not wearing your belt?

Most accidents occur within 25 miles from home

80% of all serious injuries occur at 40MPH or slower

Seat belts are 57% effective at preventing traumatic and fatal brain injury. Brain and chest injury are the most frequent cause of death

In a crash the unrestrained occupents keep moving during the time the car takes to stop. They are still moving forward at the original vehicle speed until they impact the steering wheel, dash, or the windsheild

In fatal crashes 73% of all passengers who were ejected from a vehicle were killed.

As a firefighter, and someone who has to remove what is left of vehicle occupants that choose to disregard the benefits of seat belt use, I am tempted to ask those of you who make this decision to carry something saying that if you wanted to live you would have worn your seat belt. So much useless loss associated with this selfish act. It drives the cost of health care up, drives the cost of insurance up, creates unnecessary pain and suffering for friends and family and what kind of message does it send to kids who look up to adults for guidance? No excuse for not using seat belts. It is a purely selfish act!

There is nothing wrong with correctly turning off the chime, and still wearing your seatbelt. I had the dealer disable the seat belt chime on my Liberty because it would go off even when you were in park.

geneos5546 said:

I wear mine but I don't care if you wear yours or not, in fact I was pissed when the commie state I live in Massachusetts, the home of gay weddings, high taxes and Mao's little red book (boston globe) made it illegal NOT to wear a seatbelt. I was just joking around with my comment.