Anybody running a toploader in a '69-70?

Anybody else running a toploader in a '69 or '70 or does anybody know if there is a Hurst shifter lever that fits that chassic/trans combo? My problem is that the current lever places the handle too close to the dash and too far from me in 1st and 3rd. A friend of mine has a '69 Mach and his shifter lever location is great so I ordered the same one he has, a #4106. The new lever handle sits right where I wanted it; however, like a dumb **s I didn't take into consideration that my friend has a T5 trans and the new lever doesn't have an offset like the toploader so the lever sits to the drivers side of the tunnel and is somewhat difficult to get into rev. I can't find another lever that seems like it will work so I'm thinking about combining the 2 and welding the lower offset portion of the 6836 and the upper portion of the 4106 together, which would give me the perfect fit. Am I crazy or is there an easier way?

• Sponsors (?)

bdepedro said:
Anybody else running a toploader in a '69 or '70 or does anybody know if there is a Hurst shifter lever that fits that chassic/trans combo? My problem is that the current lever places the handle too close to the dash and too far from me in 1st and 3rd. A friend of mine has a '69 Mach and his shifter lever location is great so I ordered the same one he has, a #4106. The new lever handle sits right where I wanted it; however, like a dumb **s I didn't take into consideration that my friend has a T5 trans and the new lever doesn't have an offset like the toploader so the lever sits to the drivers side of the tunnel and is somewhat difficult to get into rev. I can't find another lever that seems like it will work so I'm thinking about combining the 2 and welding the lower offset portion of the 6836 and the upper portion of the 4106 together, which would give me the perfect fit. Am I crazy or is there an easier way?

Your not crazy if welding it solves your problem. Be sure to mock up the assembly first to ensure you feel comfortable with it before final welding.

Because I wanted the original look of the factory T handle (65' stang), I cut off the Hurst chrome handle from my Competition Plus (wasn't a bolt on type) and welded on the old factory Ford chrome handle. I also added a little spring mechanism that makes the T seem like it does something. :D

I must be getting pretty picky, I can reach the handle but I have to lift my back off the seat to do so and my knuckles are very close to the dash in 1st and 3rd. Completely doable but not exactly comfortable. I think I'm going to combine the 2 WTF, might as well make it exactly how I want it. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks all! :nice:

I had a toploader with a Hurst Competition Plus that I installed to replace the factory shifter. I didn't have any problems other than worn out synchros in 3rd gear (not related to installing the Hurst shifter in any way). After reading the other posts--I do have long arms, so I never noticed any problems reaching. It was a great upgrade!

Just drove my stang today with the correct toploader lever and I'm definitely going to modify it, my knuckles hit the dash in 1st and 3rd. I'm either going to conbine my 2 levers or cut a notch in the original one, bend it rearwards and reweld it. That way it will be perfect, at least for me!

Hurst makes or made lots of different shifter levers for various applications, problem is, some shifters have fixed levers, some are interchangeable by unbolting the lever and swapping on another. They used to have a table in their website listing these shifter handles. You might also have the wrong shifter for your application?

D.Hearne said:
Hurst makes or made lots of different shifter levers for various applications, problem is, some shifters have fixed levers, some are interchangeable by unbolting the lever and swapping on another. They used to have a table in their website listing these shifter handles. You might also have the wrong shifter for your application?

I thought about that, apparently the toploader linkage is different between the mustang and fairlane. I've been told that the fairlane linkage sits more towards the bellhousing than the mustang's, however my linkage looks to be perfectly centered (front to back) in my shifter opening so that's probably not my problem. I've talked w/ the folks at Dark Horse Performance and they checked the application chart and the original lever I have is what they tell me is correct for my car. Maybe it's me that doesn't fit my car. LOL. Either way, I can't find any other listing so the easiest fix is the mod.

SHifter

Can anyone tell me- does the correct shifter for 69 mach 1 (a) mount to the console as I think it does, and (b) have the knob and t-handle like older ford 4 speed shifters? I have one I put on e-bay and I got a letter from someone that tells me it's not a Ford shifter. He told me in 69 ford only used Hurst shifters. Would like to know for sure b4 I pull the ad.

Can anyone tell me- does the correct shifter for 69 mach 1 (a) mount to the console as I think it does, and (b) have the knob and t-handle like older ford 4 speed shifters? I have one I put on e-bay and I got a letter from someone that tells me it's not a Ford shifter. He told me in 69 ford only used Hurst shifters. Would like to know for sure b4 I pull the ad.

I have had two 69 Shelby GT350's, both had Fords shifters for the toploader trans. They did not mount to the console, they both had a "ring" on the shifter you pull up for reverse.

Here is what I believe.
In 1969 the Mach 1's had a Ford shifter, in 70 they came stock with a Hurst. Better shifter, but not correct for a '69.
They do not have a T or anything else to lift to go into reverse like the older ones.
My wife and I each have a '69 Mach 1 in the garage.
Mine "S" code 390 hers "M" code 351. Neither have been molested.
Both std trannys. Both have plain round shift handles, no flat areas like the Hurst.
The 69 Mach 1 for sure has the same shifter as the '69 Boss 429.
I DO NOT HAVE A BOSS 429.

69s had a ford shifter. 70s went to a hurst shifter. The shifter you're talking about sounds like the typical ford floor mounted automatic shifter which mounted to the trans tunnel.