Anybody use water wetter?

• Sponsors (?)

I've used it for years. It works better with straight water, but be carefull before before you know it winter will be here and if you forget to change it before the temps drop you'll be pulling the engine to replace the freeze plugs. I'd just do a 50/50 mix with it.

I don't think watterwetter+ water wil work better than straight water,,,but it will provide you with corrosion resistance which is important. If it doesn't get colder than 40 deg. in missouri I think you should be fine. Otherwise you may wanna run some antifreeze.

I think it's bad advice to run only water regardless of your climatic conditions :nono: .

While the name antifreeze implies a protection agaist freezing the medium also contains anti corrosion inhibitors, rubber elastomer protectors and lubricants for the water pump :nice: .

I would not add water wetter as per Ford's caution about a using supplemental additives. But, hey, it's your car :rolleyes:

In my CJ-7, I had a nasty overheating problem for a long time. While it wasn't the water wetter that eventually fixed it, it definitely helped. I'm currently running a 15/85 mixture of antifreeze / water and a bottle of WW. It's running at a constant 180* now.

It was mentioned above about the benefits of antifreeze other than anti-freezing, but another very important one is it's anti-boiling benefits. It raises the boiling point of water as well. Granted, if you have a properly sealed system, it shouldn't be a problem, but when water hits the puke tank at 212*+ it's nice to know that it won't vaporize and lezve the tank empty for when the engine finally cools.

In my CJ-7, I had a nasty overheating problem for a long time. While it wasn't the water wetter that eventually fixed it, it definitely helped. I'm currently running a 15/85 mixture of antifreeze / water and a bottle of WW. It's running at a constant 180* now.

It was mentioned above about the benefits of antifreeze other than anti-freezing, but another very important one is it's anti-boiling benefits. It raises the boiling point of water as well. Granted, if you have a properly sealed system, it shouldn't be a problem, but when water hits the puke tank at 212*+ it's nice to know that it won't vaporize and lezve the tank empty for when the engine finally cools.
Yeah good point, I used to run a bare amount of coolant when I lived in Florida also, I read that the Water wetter has anti corrosive additives in it that would make it ok for use with water (distilled for alum heads) alone, obviously not for the winters here. Down south its callad coolant and up here its anti-freeze :rlaugh:

Danny, you remember anything about brown residue supposedly coming as a result of WW? I think I recall something along those lines.

I agree with Danny. If someone is so on the ragged edge that they need something that reduces surface tension, the cooling system needs addressing. I see 115*F and 100% humidity (monsoon season) and don't use such products.
You just gotta be overkill-oriented and take care of all the little things are just right (in cooling systems lots of little things add up to big differences).

That said, there are some hot rodders down here who run like Paul - soft water and a couple bottles of WW. Nothing else. These (like Paul's) are not DD's and hybernate over winters (winter here means highs of 70*F).

Yes, I have read complaints about a brown almost sand like gunk forming at the bottom of rads after the use of WW. Actually it was on BITOG forums that I read complaints about the sandy gunk forming. People were flushing out the systems then adding WW, come next flush crap starting coming out. they stopped using it and the gunk went away.

Danny, you remember anything about brown residue supposedly coming as a result of WW? I think I recall something along those lines.

I agree with Danny. If someone is so on the ragged edge that they need something that reduces surface tension, the cooling system needs addressing. I see 115*F and 100% humidity (monsoon season) and don't use such products.
You just gotta be overkill-oriented and take care of all the little things are just right (in cooling systems lots of little things add up to big differences).

That said, there are some hot rodders down here who run like Paul - soft water and a couple bottles of WW. Nothing else. These (like Paul's) are not DD's and hybernate over winters (winter here means highs of 70*F).

I don't use Water Wetter anymore because of the brown residue. It ruined my coolant level sensor.

Using the right mixture there should be no reason for any additive. Summer temps here around Charleston,SC hang around 96*+ with 70+ humidity, with an all stock 12yr old cooling system my temps don't move from the O with the a/c on or off.

+1. Up until a week or so ago temps here in TN were 110*+ and more than enough humidity. My car has a stock cooling system aside from a Mr. Gasket 180* T-stat and I changed the fan settings in my Tweecer to accommodate it, running a 50/50 mixture and it has been staying right around 180-190*, even in heavy traffic in the middle of the day.