anyone build scale auto models?

• Sponsors (?)

I've been building them for years.I like to enter contests down in Texas and up in Kansas,and few local.I've had a couple in the Mode cars magazine and Scale Auto.Just pics,and a paragraph,not whole page stuff.I like to open the doors adnd trunks,build hinges wire everything and get a little crazy.I'm building a '69 Daytoan Charger right now.It has now got opening doors and trunk,and I finally got the headlight buckets to pop up like the real car.I have a long way to go before it's finished,but the hardest part is over.Door jambs are next on the to-do list on it.Then,the mighty HEMI.

Would you guys say that buying revell models is a good idea for a guy jus looking to get back into building them? I miss this hobby, and im single so i have all the free time in the world. Do they make some sort of starter kit that comes with all the paints and glue? Or do you guys suggest using a different paint. Im the kind of person where if I build something and it works out good im gonna do a lot more. I wanna try and build somethin nice.

Ps. That gold superbee is unbelieveable.

In order of best quality: Tamiya, Revell, Monogram, AMT.
Id really stay away from AMT unless they are the only company that makes the model you want.

As far as paints go...The Tamiya paints are kinda thick out of the bottle. I usually use Model Master paints from Testors
View attachment 412651
They work very nice right out of the bottle.
The also make some really cool metalizers.

Glue... I really havent used the Modeling "tube" glue for 10 years. Its just messy and will distort the plastic if your not carefull...
Ive been using this stuff for quite a while and have been happy.
AMB110-450.jpg

Super glue works good on parts that are tiny and dont want to stay in place.
And Occasionally Ill use this stuff.
TES8872C-450.jpg

It has a nice needle point for hard to reach places.

Oh and paint brushes... Dont get the cheap plastic ones that Testors sell... Go to WalMart or something and buy a big assortment pack of brushes.
The pack I bought came with like 25 brushes in all different sizes and different types of bristles.

When building a model you tend to use ALOT of Flat Black, So I always have a couple big bottles of that. I also bought a big can of paint thinner for cleaning brushes. A third hand is nice too when doing details.
3rdhand.jpg

Get some good sandpaper and hobby knives too. (If you plan on building alot)
I use these sanding sticks alot. (kinda like what girls use on their nails)
squ30506.jpg

Comes with a bunch of different grits.
And I bought an X-Acto knife set that had the rubber handle and a bunch of blades.

There are a ton of other things I could list but Im sure this is more than enough for now.

Anybody interested in showing off there stuff or just talking with guys into modeling should check out www.automotiveforums.com

They have a forum for modlers, tons of great builds on there....super talented memebers and can give you alot of ideas/advice/help if you need some inspiration.

If you go there i use the SN Dave5.0