anyone do a brake pad change yet ? i need help

2003gt

Apr 27, 2003
Brandon, MS
i recently put Hawk track pads on my mustang when I took my car to VIR....did the whole pad change no problem....even found that stupid little tool that is used to put the rear pistons back in.....

anyway, i changed my pads back to the stock ones and did the same thing.....

but now my parking brake light is always on even when the levers down and my traction control (the light that means your loosing traction in the dash) is on as well....car doesn't make noises, drives fine, just can't figure it out.....

the onlllllllly thing that I think I did different wasi didn't screw the rear pistons ALLLLL the way back......i did just enough to get over the brake pads......

any suggestions or help would be great....

oh, and I reset the battery to see if it was just a weird glitch in sensor....that didn't work...

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

there was no finding it online, i went to a local autoparts store and its generic rear brake piston tool....is a round disk with two "nipples" on each end at north and west of the disk....it hooks on to the end of a socket extension and you use it to screw the piston back in, instead of compress like the fronts

I was also at VIR recently for the Holiday laps.

I switched to Hawk HPS pads and flushed the fluid. WOW!!!

Can only speculate what would be causing your problems. :shrug:

The brake light could indicate a problem with the brake system, (fluid level/pressure) and not just the e-brake setting.

As for the traction control lamp... perhaps you misaligned the antilock brake sensor on the rear? I believe if the sensor fails entirely the antilock system lamp shows the failure, not the brake lamp.

If you have a flash tuner, check for any codes, and re-flash just as a precaution.
Maybe a computer setting is scrambled?

Post if you find the solution.

I was also at VIR recently for the Holiday laps.

I switched to Hawk HPS pads and flushed the fluid. WOW!!!

Can only speculate what would be causing your problems. :shrug:

The brake light could indicate a problem with the brake system, (fluid level/pressure) and not just the e-brake setting.

As for the traction control lamp... perhaps you misaligned the antilock brake sensor on the rear? I believe if the sensor fails entirely the antilock system lamp shows the failure, not the brake lamp.

If you have a flash tuner, check for any codes, and re-flash just as a precaution.
Maybe a computer setting is scrambled?

Post if you find the solution.

you were correct on fluid level and i don't know why the traction light came on..... but my front passenger piston in the caliper was cracked and was slowly leaking fluid......don't know how just yet, but I had to buy a whole new caliper and now the problem is fixed.....maybe too much pressure on pistons while changing pads and pushing them back in.....

you were correct on fluid level and i don't know why the traction light came on..... but my front passenger piston in the caliper was cracked and was slowly leaking fluid......don't know how just yet, but I had to buy a whole new caliper and now the problem is fixed.....maybe too much pressure on pistons while changing pads and pushing them back in.....

Well a cracked and leaking piston will definetly cause the brake lamp to light up when the fluid level drops enough. Gotta be real careful to keep the pistons aligned with the caliper when pressing them back. I have seen piston O-rings damaged this way, but not cracking. WOW they must be fragile. Good info for my next pad change.

Still confused by the traction lamp. A damaged rear wheel cylinder piston could cause the wheel to drag, and hence the traction control system would think the other wheel was spinning.... but a front piston damage????? Ah the joys of computer technology in cars.

Glad you got it fixed.... brakes are very important. :D