Anyone done cams yet in a 3V 4.6?? Preference>??

i'm looking into cams b4 i go all out next year w/ a forced induction system, and see there are a few cams available for the 3V. the ford thumper cams seem to have the best old-school sound at idle, but that doesn't mean to much when your goin down the track! Anyone have any good/bad experiences w/ any cams for these cars? Any advice would help out! Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I looked into these for our mustang until I realized this:

$550 for cams
$200 for springs (possible)
$xxx for retainers (possible)
Labor for install...$1500-$2100!!!
Tune (with tuner) $400

So, thats between $2500 to $3500 for just cams! They will probably net you 20rwhp and an awesome sound. But at $3500 you can nearly pickup a supercharger on sale.

The 3Vs are more labor intensive than the 2Vs.....hence the increase in labor cost. I was quoted $1500 from a friend at a shop. The service book says something near 19-22 hours of labor.

oh my god @ labor amounts....lol... some of the cams say they are 100% direct bolt, ei, no need to change springs, or anything else, they claim to be around 25rwhp on a stock car... they are all around $700.... but if the labor is that crazy... i might just go without them..lol.. my car runs fine for now, and by the spring i iwll have done very bolt on available + 100 shot.. but it's never enough...lol...

<object width="400" height="224" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/1292251144365" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1292251144365" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></embed></object>

Yeah, I do most of my own work, with the exception of gears/differentials, lol, i tend to be hard on my cars and want to do the job once, lol, i always make noisy gear installs, lol... but yeah, I was hoping that it would be a not-too-bad job, and for around $2,000 for 20-30 rwhp I just dont see it being a good idea... Sucks, cuz i love the way the Ford Thumper cam sounds at idle...

Yeah, I do most of my own work, with the exception of gears/differentials, lol, i tend to be hard on my cars and want to do the job once, lol, i always make noisy gear installs, lol... but yeah, I was hoping that it would be a not-too-bad job, and for around $2,000 for 20-30 rwhp I just dont see it being a good idea... Sucks, cuz i love the way the Ford Thumper cam sounds at idle...

Yeah if you don't know how to do it on your own it sounds like these cams aren't worth it unless you are already having the engine torn apart for some reason.

I wish the new 5.0L "coyote" would have been a pushrod engine instead of these damn modular engines. Push rod engines are so much easier to work on.

Yeah if you don't know how to do it on your own it sounds like these cams aren't worth it unless you are already having the engine torn apart for some reason.

I wish the new 5.0L "coyote" would have been a pushrod engine instead of these damn modular engines. Push rod engines are so much easier to work on.

Yeah, these new 3v motors seem to be strong, and have pull above 5000 like no other stock n/a stang motors did, but I don't know if they will b as amazing as an old abused 5.0 HO that has 150K miles and is still takin 100 shot down the 1/4 mile every weekend, that runs like a top after a million miles.. I have an 86 5.0 w/ 150K and had a 9lb blower and have had a 100 shot on it for years, and with just all the bolt ons, it;s never let me down....lol.. long live the old 5.0..lol this is the car...lol some of the footage is from 05 when it was bone stock, and different clips are w/ diff mods, but the car is still running mint..lol....

<embed src="http://videos.streetfire.net/vidiac.swf?video=5ac45642-25ab-4b80-8191-9cab01579867" width="428" height="352" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed><br/><a href="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/TRIBUTE-TO-THE-86-STANG_714955.htm">TRIBUTE+TO+THE+86+STANG+306!+2005+TILL+2DAY!!+ALL</a>

you got one of my favorite color combos too, awesum car, I got my 2010 now, but I still feel like the fox bodies can just keep going, mine is gonna be 25 soon, lol, and if i go out n put a battery in it it'll go... haha

Yeah the 5.0 they put in those cars could take a lot of abuse. Mine was a 1992 which was the last year of forged pistons stock. The engine had about 137k of really hard miles before I decided to build the 347. I built the 347 from a new aluminum block and gave the stock engine, which still ran well, to a friend. The car was originally an automatic because I was trying to find one in that color combo that had never been wrecked. I found it about 500+ miles away from me. When I built the 347 I destroyed the original AOD even after I had built it up. That is when i converted it to a manual and put in a Tremec TKO500.

Your 2010 looks good and you definitely put it through its paces. Unfortunately right now I am just driving around a jeep and I am about to buy a house so it will be probably another year or two until I can get another stang. :( I sold my fox to buy my fiance' an engagement ring... At least when it comes time for me to buy another the new 5.0L will be out.

Yeah the 5.0 they put in those cars could take a lot of abuse. Mine was a 1992 which was the last year of forged pistons stock. The engine had about 137k of really hard miles before I decided to build the 347. I built the 347 from a new aluminum block and gave the stock engine, which still ran well, to a friend. The car was originally an automatic because I was trying to find one in that color combo that had never been wrecked. I found it about 500+ miles away from me. When I built the 347 I destroyed the original AOD even after I had built it up. That is when i converted it to a manual and put in a Tremec TKO500.

Your 2010 looks good and you definitely put it through its paces. Unfortunately right now I am just driving around a jeep and I am about to buy a house so it will be probably another year or two until I can get another stang. :( I sold my fox to buy my fiance' an engagement ring... At least when it comes time for me to buy another the new 5.0L will be out.

Hey man, the best is that you have videos and memories, i've sold mor cars than I could count that I wish I coulda kept, but at least you sold it for a good reason, you'll get another one, once you have a Stang, you will always have another... and yeah, that color combo is awesome, I never had one in that color, even though I always wanted one, and I guess U were right, beacuse the green and blue w/ titanium bottom was almost always auto when, and IF you found one for sale!!

Plenty of places will install NSR cams for under $1,000. Don't bother with a dealership. A mustang speed shop will be your best bet for getting it done for a reasonable price because they do so many. Just make a few calls.

How much HP you get if any will depend on the tuner. Lots of mixed results with cams on these cars.

Plenty of places will install NSR cams for under $1,000. Don't bother with a dealership. A mustang speed shop will be your best bet for getting it done for a reasonable price because they do so many. Just make a few calls.

How much HP you get if any will depend on the tuner. Lots of mixed results with cams on these cars.

Yeah, but what do u thin ki will end up spending in total? $1,500-$2,000? I know trhey can get arounf the 50rwhp mark w/ an intake manifold, all the bolt ons and a good tune.. but it;s a lotta money when I can just add another 25HP to my NOS jet..lol... but, i really do love the way the Thumper Cams idle... almost worth it just for that..lol

I looked into FRPP hot rod cams last year and I received a $650 quote from a local shop.

$730 - cams (no springs required)
$650 - labor
$350 - Dyno tune

Total - $1730

You can see 20 - 25 RWHP with those cams and the bolt on's I have.
If I knew I could get 25 hp I would do it, but I've heard of people only gaining 10- 15 hp and actually losing some trq.

I looked into FRPP hot rod cams last year and I received a $650 quote from a local shop.

$650 - labor
$350 - Dyno tune

Total - $1730

If I knew I could get 25 hp I would do it, but I've heard of people only gaining 10- 15 hp and actually losing some trq.

wow... thank very much for your input on that..... What about those delete plates, or whatever they are called, that open around 3500, i hear u lose down low with those removed, but i have a 3.73 manual, so i'm not really ever under 3500 anyway...

Some people swear by the CMDP's. They can net you 5 - 10 RWHP on the top end but a tune is required.

I think the general consensus is that you lose a little low end. Some notice it some don't. It may depend on how good the tune is.

If I did cams or a centri blower I would definately do the CMDP's.

Some people swear by the CMDP's. They can net you 5 - 10 RWHP on the top end but a tune is required.

I think the general consensus is that you lose a little low end. Some notice it some don't. It may depend on how good the tune is.

If I did cams or a centri blower I would definately do the CMDP's.

ok.. so for now, i will stay clear of them, and get my pullies and throttle body first. When I put my JLT on and tune it again, then i will hit the track a few times b4 I spray it, and see how it goes, but forced induction and the CMDP's def. seem like they will work together well... Thanks again man!!

$650 - labor
$350 - Dyno tune

Total - $1730

Id like to see that quote. They must be charging $25/hr for labor. The labor book says this is a 17-22 hour job depending on if anything needs to be replaced. Most shops charge around $85-$90 an hour. The cheapest labor rate I could find was $65/hr. My quotes were NOT from a dealer. Hell, even 2V heads get charged over $1000 to be installed. This is not a task that I would take to a "local shop" - unless they have extensive knowledge of installing these cams and do it on a regular basis.

Wait...are you buying the cams from this shop and paying for the dynotune? Thats probably where they are making up their $$.