Anyone done some independent before vs. after dynos for the trick flow manifold yet?

• Sponsors (?)

i hate to bring the bad news but i was at my local speed shop last week. they had just installed a TF manifold on a s/c GT. well after the tune and everything was finished the final numbers on the car was less than 10 hp to the wheels. thats MUCH less than TF was claiming on a n/a car and the tuner was even dissappointed in the minimal power increase. the guys at the shop siad they were not recomending them to anyone else and in fact the took the one intake back off the car and the guy kept the stocker on. i guess the good side of this is i dont have to worry about buying a $800 manifold

well you can be the man for that since your getting one... sucks for everyone who has gotten one already to see basically no gain on a blower car. NA the gains should be even less since the PI intake is more than capable on most NA combo's. makes me even happier I went with the cheaper P51 for my forged motor.

well you can be the man for that since your getting one... sucks for everyone who has gotten one already to see basically no gain on a blower car. NA the gains should be even less since the PI intake is more than capable on most NA combo's. makes me even happier I went with the cheaper P51 for my forged motor.

Did you foget that I lost 1 lb of boost? and still gained hp... I would like to see a N/A comparison though... I was going to do that first, but got tired of waiting for the intake, while the Procharger was sitting in a box for a month.
I'm swapping the pulley from a 3.9" to a 3.6" next week. I think I'll be around 8 - 9 psi (6 psi now). I'll post my results.

Did you foget that I lost 1 lb of boost? and still gained hp... I would like to see a N/A comparison though... I was going to do that first, but got tired of waiting for the intake, while the Procharger was sitting in a box for a month.
I'm swapping the pulley from a 3.9" to a 3.6" next week. I think I'll be around 8 - 9 psi (6 psi now). I'll post my results.

No I didn't forget that... I have seen at least 4 cars from Mike's shop add just a P51 to their blower combo and pick up 30-40rwhp on the dyno after tuning. those are the kind of results you want to see when forking over $800 or more for an intake. thats why Im saying that it made my decision very easy for buying an intake.. being a pioneer with the 4.6 is too expensive for my taste.

No I didn't forget that... I have seen at least 4 cars from Mike's shop add just a P51 to their blower combo and pick up 30-40rwhp on the dyno after tuning. those are the kind of results you want to see when forking over $800 or more for an intake.

The more important question is: how much power did they make un-tuned, like OV's stang did?

I'm sure those lost power until they were tuned too, or at most gained nothing until the boost level was equal.

some of you forget psi is a measure of air restriction - loosing 1psi means you freed up the capability to safely push more air in by getting a smaller pulley. I bet if he got a slightly smaller pulley and got it back to his original psi than he'd see the true gains. But going to 9psi is a must anyways

the biggest thing is the PI intake is not much of a restriction at his power level anyway. it wasn't restricting me much making 430rwhp with the stock motor. I doubt he lost a pound of boost from the intake... but rather where he shut it down on the dyno or a leaky bypass. regardless of that the blower would still be pushing the same amount of air into the motor as it did before and his car was tuned with this intake and the Procharger combo so the numbers you saw on Modular Fords were the final result.

One thing you guys are failing to see, is Boost is a measurement of restriction. Providing there is no leaks, it is a good thing that OV10stang saw a loss of boost with just the manifold swap. The car is moving the same amount of air, and doing it more efficiently, so that is why you saw the loss of boost. I was hoping that the intake was worth more than 12 RWHP though. The best comparison is the way 0V10stang did it( The 363 to 351 RWHP comparison ). To restate what I am saying, it is good that the car made more power, it is good that it saw a loss of boost psi.

FWIW, Bringing the boost back up by adding parts and then comparing is not a fair comparison.

For those that are seeing big gains with the Fox Lake intake, are they just adding the P-51, or are they trying to keep the boost the same and those are the results they post? A good intake manifold on a boosted car should show a HP increase as well as a drop of boost psi. The trickflow does, but is it worth the $800.00 for that HP gain?

Someone above was right... The drop in intake pressure just shows that the new intake causes less restriction/back-pressure, but at the end of the day the blower (with the same pulley) is still forcing about the same amount of air into the motor and the numbers should be directly comparable... with a the before and after cases BOTH tuned.

For those that are seeing big gains with the Fox Lake intake, are they just adding the P-51, or are they trying to keep the boost the same and those are the results they post? A good intake manifold on a boosted car should show a HP increase as well as a drop of boost psi. The trickflow does, but is it worth the $800.00 for that HP gain?

the cars have added the P51 from stock and just tuned for AF ratio.. they run the same blower my car does with the same pulley.. no changes there. my new forged motor combo is basically the same as them too. I was expecting to hear that these guys had a drop off in boost but none of them have so if this holds true I won't either and will actually have more since I went with an Innovators West 10% overdriven crank thinking I would need to compensate some. a few more weeks and I'll have some concrete numbers to go by.