anyone ever get tired of their mustang?

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
gainesville
I just spent the last year and half rebuilding my mustang and I have to say that I am honestly tired of looking at it. I am always on the verge of selling it or trading it for something else. I cater to it, spend weekends and countless nights working on it and the only thanks it gives me on a regular basis is a puddle in the driveway and another part that needs to be replaced or re-adjusted. But then amidst all the bull**** that a 24 year old car can throw at me it will fire up and run the way its supposed to and leave a **** eating grin on my face. For those few moments I forget the thousands of dollars, hundreds of hours and the constantly bleeding knuckles. I cant sell it, it owns me in a way that no fancy new sports or what they want to call a muscle car these days can. Anyone else feel this way?

• Sponsors (?)

I've not owned my mustang long enough to have experienced this yet, however I had an s10 pickup that I did plenty of wrenching on and after I rebuilt the engine and got it all buttoned up and reliable with no payments I then sold it a year later...I think everyone goes through this type of feeling with just about any car they own regardless of what it is. I recently had to talk myself out of trading in my paid for reliable DD maxima for another payment, no payment is a great thing to have.

All my cars are paid off. I wouldnt mind trading my truck, but not for another payment. Everytime someone offers me a straight trade I somehow wind up on the short end and then they get butt hurt when I tell them to **** off.

Wipe the **** out of your eyes, then you will see what god almighty has himself placed in front of you.

^^ i know everyone has had to earn what they've had, im just saying its a miracle in itself that the mustang exsist and for that matter cars in general - i just think anyone who's a true fan would regret letting go of the ol' fox.

I get this way sometimes, usually i get the jones for a early 80's 308 Ferrari, look at them on e-bay and realize i need one like a hole in the head. There is no way i can sell my car, ive turned down more than its worth more than once. One day ill get in it and it wont be running right, next day runs perfect. its part of the family, not going anywhere.

as much as I wish I was as cool as tom selleck I couldnt pay 30-40k for a 30 year old Ferrari. If I had one I would play the magnum pi theme the whole time I was in it though :nice:

as much as I wish I was as cool as tom selleck I couldnt pay 30-40k for a 30 year old Ferrari. If I had one I would play the magnum pi theme the whole time I was in it though :nice:

funny thing is your mustang would run circles around that 308. I've looked at them. They're cool, but not very powerful. I don't remember what size, but it's a supid little v8. about 30k will get a nice one.

I remember my dad had a 70s 911 carrerra. Not very fast by todays standard and my mustang would rape it, but it just oozed personality. In its day it was one of the premiere exotics and I still remember feeling that you were sitting in something special even as a child.

Yup, back when I had my fox...and my 03gt, I just got sick of them, and sick of the scene. I couldn't go to car shows and and look at the same mustangs with the same mods only to have the guy with the big wallet who bought whatever new mustang ford put out 2 weeks before the show take best of show with a bone stock car with 5 miles.

Then I got a 4-door sedan for a daily driver and drive my fox 300 miles per year.....now I can't wait to get back behind the wheel!!

yeah i got sick of mine for a while. And then i sold it :shrug:
problem solved. Loved the car, but its more about the process to me so i was more interested in starting with a rolling chassis. If i can get going on this next build ill probably own this one for life.

this is my third fox. with all the effort I have put into it I could have resurrected a classic mustang or f-body. I think I am done with muscle cars for a while. If this car goes away I am building up a jeep.

My biggest effort has always been to time the modifications so that the car is drivable when I want to drive it. I've found that when you have it in pieces and you're busting your balls to get it back together while others are out driving their toys, it really makes you hate it. You're ready to stab your eyes out because the damn thing is sitting through another summer weekend on blocks with it's undersides all spread around on your garage floor. Because of that, I do my best to do all the significant mods in the winter when I couldn't be driving it otherwise. I don't feel the need to rush and I don't feel bad when it's sitting on jackstands on a Saturday night, because it's 20 degrees outside.

Of course, I have that "luxury" living in Indiana. That miserable, cold, frozen, wet, 5 month long "luxury".

I couldn't go to car shows and and look at the same mustangs with the same mods only to have the guy with the big wallet who bought whatever new mustang ford put out 2 weeks before the show take best of show with a bone stock car with 5 miles.

I hate that so much. I saw a guy walk away from a car show once with "Best of Show" from his brand-new Ford GT. Yea, it's a badass car, but ****, I could have called the local stealership and asked them to come by with theirs, and what are you gonna give them? Runner up? Blow it out your ass. I bet there were some guys there who were REALLY pissed. Some of these guys spend YEARS busting ass on their show cars, and you're gonna give an award to the asshat lawyer who showed up in a paycheck car?

I had a long day at work. I'm in the mood to bitch, haha.

I hate that so much. I saw a guy walk away from a car show once with "Best of Show" from his brand-new Ford GT. Yea, it's a badass car, but ****, I could have called the local stealership and asked them to come by with theirs, and what are you gonna give them? Runner up? Blow it out your ass. I bet there were some guys there who were REALLY pissed. Some of these guys spend YEARS busting ass on their show cars, and you're gonna give an award to the asshat lawyer who showed up in a paycheck car?

I had a long day at work. I'm in the mood to bitch, haha.

Bingo.

Back in 2003 or so, I went to the Mustangs Unlimited show in CT. The 2003 Mach 1 just came out, and there was only 1 at the show since it was prob one of the first in the area.....so they stuck it in the 4.6 n/a cobra class. So....you have all these clean 96-98 cobras that look sharp as he'll and nicely modded...and this one 2003 azure blue Mach 1 with maybe 200 miles on it. Had a crowd around it all day cuz not many had seen one yet.....guess what won the class? I had two friends in that class with mint cobras with nice tasteful mods, and theynwere pissed :(

this is my third fox. with all the effort I have put into it I could have resurrected a classic mustang or f-body. I think I am done with muscle cars for a while. If this car goes away I am building up a jeep.

Jeeps are cool, but there is a fine line there from looking like just another sleeveless tshirt and hollister baseball cap frat boy. If you do a Jeep, do an old CJ7 or something. OR, sack up, and find yourself an International Scout or a first gen Bronco.

OR, OR, since I know you're into the LS ****, get yourself an OLD Suburban, like pre-'72, drop in a junkyard late-model Chevy truck LS drivetrain into it, put a lift and some tires on it and be done. Leave the paint all faded and the body as-is. Oh, and cut a hole in the roof all the way from front to back, and put a snap-button cloth top on it like they do with hot rods and V-dubs. Faaaaaaaaaap, I'd spooge all over that truck. That would be cool as hell. If I had more working room I'd definitely have a project like that going.

the old cjs are cool, and trust me done right they are bad ass, but the Tjs and Jk's will run circles around them on and off the road. the best bang for the buck is a the Tj. To be truthefully honest I would love to have a first gen bronco or blazer/jimmy, but they are getting to be stupidly collectible and therefore stupidly priced.

Bingo.

Back in 2003 or so, I went to the Mustangs Unlimited show in CT. The 2003 Mach 1 just came out, and there was only 1 at the show since it was prob one of the first in the area.....so they stuck it in the 4.6 n/a cobra class. So....you have all these clean 96-98 cobras that look sharp as he'll and nicely modded...and this one 2003 azure blue Mach 1 with maybe 200 miles on it. Had a crowd around it all day cuz not many had seen one yet.....guess what won the class? I had two friends in that class with mint cobras with nice tasteful mods, and theynwere pissed :(

That sucks so hard. AND you KNOW even a clean, but stock Mach 1 would be totally overlooked at a car show today.

I had the opportunity to judge a car show one time a few years back, and I'll be the first to admit that I was biased against unmodified cars. It wasn't a big show (less than 100 cars, IIRC), so there was not a lot of diversity in the classes. We had a couple of boring store-bought cars that some people were drooling over, but I don't think any of those guys went home with awards. I remember one guy had a true, right hand drive imported Japanese sports car that was otherwise completely untouched (don't remember the make or model now). All the labels and markings on the car were Japanese. Cool car, but award worthy? In Japan, it would have been just another car parked on the side of the street. No points for you buddy. Sorry.

I feel you! There was a time when I was flirting around with getting rid of the fox for a newer one so I didn't have to worry about as many issues. But I'm glad I kept the fox. Although now I see another 93 fox with low low miles for sale that I want.

sometimes I think the only reason I keep it is that I never see any running around anymore that arent hacked track cars or busted 4 bangers.