Anyone ever replace AC Compressor clutch or bearings?

Back2Mustangs

Sep 2, 2004
Do I have to purge the system to change the AC Compressor clutch assembly? I have no idea what is on the inside of that thing or how the clutch assembly comes apart. Mine is sounding like Blower whine, and I need to replace the bearings or the whole clutch assembly before it locks up or something. When the compressor is idle I hear loud whine/screetch... until the compressor kicks on then the noise stops, but starts whining as soon as the compressor shuts off again.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like your ac clutch face is coming apart. To fix it correctly I would replace the ac clutch face, pulley, and field. It would be a PIA to fix it in the car, but you wouldn't have to evacuate the ac system. If the vehicle has 40K+ miles on I would go ahead and just get a complete new ac compressor.

I actually replaced mine two weekend ago, was a easy job with a trip to the part store to get proper tools. To make things more interesting, I had to do it outside in the dark using a flashlight all by myself. But when replacing the compressor, you will also need to replace the accumulator/Drier. This is highly recommended. The drier will cost $90-100.00 at an auto parts store.(NAPA) And the AC compressor also will be in the ballpark of $262.99. brand new. When removing or installing I recommend using a Haynes Repair manual. But after the install I would take it to a AC shop to be evacuated and recharged and leak tested like the manual states.

Back2Mustangs said:
Do I have to purge the system to change the AC Compressor clutch assembly? I have no idea what is on the inside of that thing or how the clutch assembly comes apart. Mine is sounding like Blower whine, and I need to replace the bearings or the whole clutch assembly before it locks up or something. When the compressor is idle I hear loud whine/screetch... until the compressor kicks on then the noise stops, but starts whining as soon as the compressor shuts off again.

Forgot to answer your question... I used a Flat head screw driver and purged the system that way. Then took apart & replaced everything according to my Haynes repair manual, then had the system evacuated, and charged by an AC shop near me. Everything works great. And I know about the horrible noise, and I waited to late to change my compressor. Good thing the AC compressor decided to lock up in my drive way, and not in some crappy location. That was why I was outside at night working on the damn thing. Good luck! :nice:

Back2Mustangs said:

ok it's the pulley. the ac clutch system works like this. the compressor needs too be able too frewheel so it has a clutch that is a coil and a feild sadwiching a pulley. when the coil is not engergized the pulley can freewheel ( this is where you getting your noise) and when it's engergized ( ac compressor turning) the pulley is sandwiched in between the feild and clutch. think of the pulley right now as a clutch disc sanwiched in between the presure plate and flywheel.

you do not have too remove the freeon for this repair!!!

well anyways too fix your problem you need too take the belt off. remove the 10 mm bolt on the front of the clutch ( right in the center) remove the clutch. now under the clutch there is a small spacer. save that. use a magnet too get it out of the compressor if it is stuck in.

ok now remove the snap ring that holds the pulley too the compressor.. replace this pulley.. then put the snap ring back on. put in the spacer and bolt the compressor clutch back in place.

very very easy.

now if you loose the spacer go too a ford dealer and get some a/c clutch spacers. if they don't know what you mean tell them you are setting the a/c compressor air gap then they will know.

when setting the air gap get a matchbook. a matchbook is the perfect thickness to set the air gap. try different spacers untill the matchbook flap ( just one flap not the whole book) just slides in.

after this bolt the clutch down too the compressor and put the belt back on.