anyone had the cold start prob. and found out what it was?

ADRENLN

Apr 16, 2003
NJ
i used the hard start when the engine was hot. you know the one where you could stop in the convieniant store for a couple of min. and when you come out and start your car, it starts really weak. extend cranking whatever.

well its weird cause it seems to not have this prob anymore. i remember when people asked of this prob. a long time ago, there were many that had the prob. also in those threads there were guys who only had a hard start when starting in the morning or the first time of the day, on a cold engine.

these are 2 different things. anyway, the hot start is gone but seems to have switched to the cold start problem. this is very strange to me.

i did only switch 2 things......i switched the battery to p pc680, and i went from useing 87 octaine to 93.....what do you guys think could be going on?

any ideas? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

ADRENLN said:
i used the hard start when the engine was hot. you know the one where you could stop in the convieniant store for a couple of min. and when you come out and start your car, it starts really weak. extend cranking whatever.

well its weird cause it seems to not have this prob anymore. i remember when people asked of this prob. a long time ago, there were many that had the prob. also in those threads there were guys who only had a hard start when starting in the morning or the first time of the day, on a cold engine.

these are 2 different things. anyway, the hot start is gone but seems to have switched to the cold start problem. this is very strange to me.

i did only switch 2 things......i switched the battery to p pc680, and i went from useing 87 octaine to 93.....what do you guys think could be going on?

any ideas? :shrug:
Hard starts can be the result of a number of things. You replaced the battery so that rules that out. It could be your coils are going bad and it could also be carbon build up in the fuel system. To test the coils, I believe you need a voltage meter to check that. The fuel system is an easy fix. Just change the fuel filter(change it yearly for best results) and use a good fuel system cleaner like the kind from Amsoil or Redline. They work well and should flush your fuel system clean of carbon and any dirt in them.

EDIT: Don't forget that spark plugs is also a big cause of hard starts. Check them to make sure they are ok if/when you check the ignition coils.

starchman said:
Is it a weak cranking problem, or does the engine just not "catch?" If it just keeps cranking and cranking, check the IAC valve.
Oh yeah. I forgot about that. The dreaded "Dirty/Malfunctioning IAC". That is one of the leading causes of hard starts and stalling in the 4.6ltr GT's. I had forgotten all about it.

i had the iac replaced a long time ago, but was unaware of a redesigned one. it is an extended crank, and when the car finally starts it seems like its going to stall for a quick second, then it starts up and sounds and idles normal. just the first start of the day, but seems to be getting worse.

i just think its very strange that the systems reversed themselves.

It might just be a coincidence. That sounds exactly like what happened to mine when the IAC valve went bad; after a few weeks (?) I had to hold open the throttle for a while to keep it running. When I replaced it in late 03, the redesigned IAC was available.

even the so-called "improved" IAC can/will have problems and the problem is it gets gummed-up from the PCV system, so if you dont change your PCV valve at the prescribed 30k intervials or you buy your PCV valve from some "parts stores" the problem will continue.

ill throw this one out there as an option... not sure if it is even close tho. On my old car, I would have a hard time starting it. I had to crank it over and over. It would ALWAYS start by three cranks, but it was annoying. It was a bad fuel pump that wouldn't hold a pressure when the car was off. Then, the car had to crank over a few times to build the pressure up.... just something to think about.

well ok the redesigned iac i dont have cause i got mine a long time ago. prob in 2002.

i thought if you turned the key to on , but didnt crank it got the pump time to build. i try that doesnt effect anything. not sure if its the fuel pump. i will hopefully find the prob, but i dont want to go out one day and not have the car start at all.

for the guy with the hot start, its weird cause i would get that all the time.
i remember a guy saying that he had it, changed his battery and it stoped.
i havent had it after i changed the battery. now i have a whole new prob. the COLD START. this might help you though.

if you want to replicate the problem at ford, drive the car get the temp gauge as far as it will go. then bring it in and go right back out to start it in front of them.....it should work if you have the hot start prob.

ford will let it sit there cool off then when they start it they cant replicate the prob. :rolleyes: