Anyone have good luck with PMAS MAF sensor?

Anyone else have good luck with the PMAS 75mm Maf? I just installed one and it's working great so far. I've heard good and bad things about the PMAS 75mm unit and it seems to be a little lower quality than the Pro-M 75mm MAF. I know some of the PMAS guys used to work at Pro-M, so I figured they are calibrated about the same, dispite the bickering between their websites. I just bought and installed the 75mm PMAS Maf this weekend. The car surged a little bit after disconnecting the battery and reseting the computer, but now it idles perfectly and runs great. I definately feel a little power increase, and I'm spinning a little in 2nd gear now with my drag radials. Anyone else have anything good or bad to say about their PMAS or PRO-M 75mm MAF? Let me know. I supposedly have a lifetime warranty on it, but I want to make sure I won't have problems down the road.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks, I'm glad to hear it's working great for you. I hear the 80mm and up are very reliable and provide accurate calibrations; but I am looking for input from anyone that has the PMAS 75mm or PRO-M 75mm because these are the cheapest and more of an entry level MAF from either company.

PMAS and PRO-M are different companies. The reason their meters look alike is because the guys that started PMAS used to work for PRO-M. When PRO-M went out of business for a short time, the PMAS guys bought one or more of PRO-M's flow benches and started making their own meters. They bash each other on both of their websites. I just figured they are about the same because they use some of the same equipment. That's why I'm looking for feedback to see if people have more problems with one or the other. I believe the draw through type meter is for N/A motors, while the blow through is for supercharger/turbo applications. My meter is metal. It was suppose to be black powdercoated, but they upgraded me to the chrome finish for no charge. I'm not sure why, but I was pretty pleased because it matches my CAI now.

jus checked out Pro-m's new site. why do they seem so bitter?? if they REALLY do have a superior product, it will come out. you shouldnt have to sling mud to elevate yourself if you have the goods IMHO

It seems to me that Pro-m's mafs are assembled a little better than PMAS, but they also cost $30-40 more. I don't think there is much difference btw. calibrations and I'm not having any problems so far. After resetting the comp the car didn't want to find an idle, but I gave it some gas to keep it around 1k and after a little bit it was idling at 750rpm's like it should. Like I said I didn't expect to pick up any power, but I did. I was just installing this for future mods. Could be that I was running a little lean with the stock maf and my cai, but the car still ran great and idled great.

Anyone else have good luck with the PMAS 75mm Maf? I just installed one and it's working great so far. I've heard good and bad things about the PMAS 75mm unit and it seems to be a little lower quality than the Pro-M 75mm MAF. I know some of the PMAS guys used to work at Pro-M, so I figured they are calibrated about the same, dispite the bickering between their websites. I just bought and installed the 75mm PMAS Maf this weekend. The car surged a little bit after disconnecting the battery and reseting the computer, but now it idles perfectly and runs great. I definately feel a little power increase, and I'm spinning a little in 2nd gear now with my drag radials. Anyone else have anything good or bad to say about their PMAS or PRO-M 75mm MAF? Let me know. I supposedly have a lifetime warranty on it, but I want to make sure I won't have problems down the road.

I got a few minutes to share a few things I've seen :D

Before ProM went out of business I was in the market for a new meter :)

I called their tech guy and asked him why you rarely saw anything bad said
about the 77mm meter. He said it was their most accurate meter in the line
and since the 80mm meter used the same electronics ... they were just as
accurate.

I asked him about the bullet 75mm meter and why you saw some had issues
with it and some did not. He said it was simply because it was less accurate
thus the reason it was offered at a lower price.

Can't say the same holds true for PMAS or the newer ProM these days
but if the pricing is about the same now as it was back then .......
It would make me think things have not changed :shrug:

I would tell you to consider a thing or two about an after market meter

1) Accuracy is always desired
2) Many things can throw off the accuracy
3) Special considerations need to be given to 94-95 Stangs thus the comparison
you see to the application on Fox stangs is a futile or fruitless kind of thing.

1) Kinda needs no explanation as I see it

2) Bends in the pipe
Clocking of the meter
Airflow reversions
etc

3) Our pcm's are load based and Fox pcm's are rpm based
thus
Many peeps get mislead when trying to compare applications here :bang:

You see ... On our pcm's ... The load is used to arrive at an optimum value
for fuel and spark tables and many other tables as well :nice:

The meter is what determines the load :eek:

Soooooooooo ... See how you wanna be accurate here :Word:
This is VERY VERY VERY important ;)

Now sticking with these special considerations we need to look at the two
main ways Stangers run an aftermarket meter

A) No Tune
B) Tune

A) The electronic cal (ProM) or mechanical cal (C&L) methods these aftermarket
meter manufacturers have come up with .........
Well ... in a nutshell ... what they do is ........
Match a certain size inj to a meter they ... calibrated ... for that size inj

Many peeps call this the ... "Cheat Method" ... due to the airflow being reported
to the pcm by the ... aftermarket calibrated meter ... is a false reporting kinda
thing they employ.

Now ... this works kinda good for the Fox boys
but
We get can get into all kinds of trouble due to our different pcm
cause
That method hoses up our load factors in the pcm tables and such

btw ... A little rule of thumb for our cars and the ... Cheat Method is ......
24's and matched meter will not be too far off :)
42's will be way off :(
and
I'd think you would see how the in-between sizes would fit in

One more little tip while we are talking meters and inj's here is :D

For the most part ... An aftermarket meter caled for 19's is gonna be a
nonproductive kinda thing as far as gain goes.

Reason why is the OEM meter and inj size will be fine for bolt ons
and
You'll need larger inj's before you need more meter airflow capabilities

B) Of course ... with access to the pcm ... you just tell it the truth about .....
Amount of airflow passing through the meter
and
Injector size

Now ... about the last part of your last sentence :)

There is no way in the world :nono: :crazy:
You or anybody else for that matter can expect to have no probs when you
move away from the OEM meter and inj size without a tune.

Sure ... Some have done it with ... What they say was ... No probs
but
You can bet the farm ... More have had issues than those who didn't

Always remember this about some peeps ;)
Not everybody has the same definition of ...... Good Drivability :Word:

You have to consider every combo has so many variables :crazy:
I mean one
or
Several of them
or
Any combination of them
They could hose up things for poor drivability :fuss:

Just consider the different air intake systems we all use on out Stangs
They got different size pipe, different bends, different meter placement,
and such.

Then if you consider a thing most Stangers will change as often as their
under ware ..... fuel pressure.

I'm convinced two fellows could build the same combo and each one very
well could have different drivabilitly issues :chair: :rlaugh:

For all the reasons above ... and more ...........
Thats why the peeps who know what is available with a good tune always
seem so adamant about its benefits ;)

You just tune for what your particular combo wants :D

Hope some of this general info will cause some to consider what is really
going on in areas of their Stangs they might not be aware of :)

Grady

All I know is that my car is a little faster with the PMAS than with the stock meter. Not by much, but nonetheless faster. It idles where it should and everything else is the same. I still have the stock 24# cobra injectors and plan on keeping them. I will get a tune, but probably not for a year or so untill I get my heads and cam. Could it be that since this meter is calibrated for a CAI it gives a more accurate reading than the stock meter with the CAI? I had the straight shot K&N FIPK intake and replaced it with the bbk fenderwell intake and didn't notice any changes in drivability or power with the stock meter. If the PMAS meter was so inaccurate, you would think I would have lots of drivability issues like stalling at stop lights and surging at idle.

All I know is that my car is a little faster with the PMAS than with the stock meter. Not by much, but nonetheless faster. It idles where it should and everything else is the same. I still have the stock 24# cobra injectors and plan on keeping them. I will get a tune, but probably not for a year or so untill I get my heads and cam. Could it be that since this meter is calibrated for a CAI it gives a more accurate reading than the stock meter with the CAI? I had the straight shot K&N FIPK intake and replaced it with the bbk fenderwell intake and didn't notice any changes in drivability or power with the stock meter. If the PMAS meter was so inaccurate, you would think I would have lots of drivability issues like stalling at stop lights and surging at idle.

The KEY thing to keep in focus here is ... YOUR Particular Application :D

Since you be a Cobra kinda guy ...........

What YOU are doing is like GT peeps ..........
upgrading their meter while staying with their 19# injectors

You said ... If the PMAS meter was so inaccurate
and
I said ... It was not as accurate as the 77 and 80 mm units

That doesn't mean its not gonna work fine for your needs :nono:
and
I didn't mean to imply that meter was inferior or anything like that :nono:

Also ... you are still using the stock size inj's
so
The pcm values match in that respect
so
No trickery or false reporting ... this is a good thing :Word:

Another thing is ........
the amount of airflow has not been increased all that much

By that I mean ... No way you would be pegging either the OEM meter or
your new PMAS meter.

All that was said to show you are not gonna be off much with that meter
like someone ... such as me ... with more airflow, and larger injectors.

Lets just use my little combo to show what I'm trying to get across ;)

Remember the following here :D

With NO TUNE ... The aftermaket meter peeps have to work with ........

1) My pcm that is programmed for using 19's
2) My pcm that is programmed for using the OEM meter's transfer curve

Now ... Since my combo .........
Requires more fuel than 19's can deliver (#1)
and
Generates more airflow than the OEM meter can accurately report (#2)

#1 & #2 is a total cluster ... you know what ... and is fubred ... big time :bang:

And again ... No Tune is in place :)
Soooooooo ......
ProM has to do a work around for #1 & #2 ... which is the ... Cheat Method

Now ... Back to your application

You don't have to deal with any of that stuff in #1 or #2 :nice:

thus

Your tune is not gonna be all that far off from what it needs to be :banana:
even though
You are running an aftermarket meter :)

Hey ... If this stuff is blowing anybody away :crazy:

I got some ... Great ... VERY Basic ... Easy to understand :banana:
meter and injector stuff on my site if you care to learn something new ;)

Grady

Thanks Grady,
I now know that the meter is close because I have the stock injectors and the aftermarket meters are based off that. That makes perfect sense, I just can't explain how I gained more power, because like you said, I didn't improve airflow all that much. I know it's not all in my head, at least I hope not! :( I also added a larger tb but that was was before I installed this new meter and it's only a 5mm difference from the stock one. I only went up from a 60mm tb to a 65mm and I went from a 70mm maf to a 75mm. Thanks again for explaining everything. I'm definately going to get a tune, but if I don't have any issues I will probably wait untill I get the cam and heads. I would like to see your site if you don't mind dropping me a link.
Thanks

Nick

Thanks Grady,
I now know that the meter is close because I have the stock injectors and the aftermarket meters are based off that. That makes perfect sense, I just can't explain how I gained more power, because like you said, I didn't improve airflow all that much. I know it's not all in my head, at least I hope not! :( I also added a larger tb but that was was before I installed this new meter and it's only a 5mm difference from the stock one. I only went up from a 60mm tb to a 65mm and I went from a 70mm maf to a 75mm. Thanks again for explaining everything. I'm definately going to get a tune, but if I don't have any issues I will probably wait untill I get the cam and heads. I would like to see your site if you don't mind dropping me a link.
Thanks

Nick

Good to see everything is working out great for you Nick :nice:

See the links in my sig ... one of them is for the site :)

Grady