Anyone have scraping/fitting issues with a 295 tire out back?

Seraphitia102

will post boobie pics for a supercharger
Oct 11, 2004
California
My car is lowered with the Eibach Pro-Kit and was wondering if the rear setup can handle 18X10 wheel with a 295/40/18 tire without rubbing/scraping? I have 275/35/18 right now, but want to move up to 40 just to fill in the wheel gap more.

• Sponsors (?)

No. (Last car)

And don't run 40's.

Car023.jpg

Attachments

• Car023.jpg
    Car023.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 118
I had bfg 295 35 18' dr's on my 18 x 10 saleen replica rims and they scraped the wheel well with people in the back seat. I know bfg's run wide and I see a lot of people on here with the same setup and no scraping, or maybe no one allowed in the back seat! I don't know

Mustang5L5 said:
Don't run 40's. It's too tall of a tire. It will lift your back end up and might be enough of a difference from your front tires to cause an error in the ABS system.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

That's a pretty good tire size calculator. Just enter the stock 245/45/17 in one side and you can see the different in other sizes compared to it

I like that miata tire calculator but how do you find out how much my speedo will be off with 245/40 fronts and 295/35 rears? The tire calculator only lets you pick one tire size to compare at a time.

Seraphitia102 said:
I like that miata tire calculator but how do you find out how much my speedo will be off with 245/40 fronts and 295/35 rears? The tire calculator only lets you pick one tire size to compare at a time.

The speedo only goes the rear wheels since the speedo mechanism is inside the transmission. SO if you want to see how much your speedo is off you only need to do the rears.

More important thing is that the front and rear tires need to be kept similar to each other otherwise it will cause an error in the ABS system and shut it down

Mustang5L5 said:
The speedo only goes the rear wheels since the speedo mechanism is inside the transmission. SO if you want to see how much your speedo is off you only need to do the rears.

More important thing is that the front and rear tires need to be kept similar to each other otherwise it will cause an error in the ABS system and shut it down

Thanks for the help :)

Now then, is 245/40/18 and 295/35/18 an acceptable combination in regards to ABS not shutting down?

Seraphitia102 said:
Now then, is 245/40/18 and 295/35/18 an acceptable combination in regards to ABS not shutting down?

It's a 0.4" difference. It should be fine but i can't be 100% sure. I think i've seen people run this exact setup.

If you wanted to be safe a 255/40/18 would match the rears perfectly

Those are some seriously bizzare tire sizes. The oddity of the sizes will make buying those tires more expensive. I have 315/35/17s out back, and 275/40/17s up front, and am lowered and have had no problems with rubbing in the rear with a full load of fatty passengers. Well, my catback did clank once near the axle, but that was a strange situation. My ABS is fine, too. What size rims do you have?

The closest thing you'll come to hitting is the quad shock, and you can get extra space there by flipping it (literally just unbolting it and installing it upside down so the thin portion is at the edge of the wheel instead).

I run 18's all around.

Front rim: 9" - 24mm offset - 5.95 backspacing
Front tire: 265/35/18 KDW II's

Rear rim: 10" - 22mm offset - 6.40 backspacing
Rear Tire: 295/35/18 KDW II's

The rear fits quite nicely but I would think that if I put people in the back seat it may rub. Don't know since I never have anyone back there. I have the same Eibach Pro kit and am using the rubber snub they provided up under the rear end.

Fronts never scraped at full lock either way.

Attachments

• 100_10851.JPG
    100_10851.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 100_10861.JPG
    100_10861.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 156